This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 vs my kung fu class?

Started by The Hansenator, April 11, 2015 · 5 Replies · 240 Views

The Hansenator

I started Foundation again after a bit of a break and am currently on HBP/PE2. We also do a variety of push ups at the kung fu class I've been going to. The kung fu push up "medley" is more difficult than my current level in F: Regular push ups, fingertip, PPP, clapping, side to side, circles, etc. They don't have us doing it at every class but often enough that I wonder how I should adjust my schedule or if there's any advice to fit it all in? Thanks.

 

Jeremy Huston

Don't do HBP during your foundation workouts. Do them at the end of Kung fu, taking into account what you did during class.

Sensei JP

A lot will depend on how your school structures these exercises.  Are you doing single sets of high reps, as is common in many schools, or is it multiple sets?  Is it multiple sets of the same exercise, or does each set give a different variation of your medley? How much rest time between sets? Can you go at your own pace rhythm, or is the whole class expected to stick together while one person counts?  Do you have a set amount you must accomplish, for example a certain rep range in order to qualify for the next rank?

 

These questions will change the advice I can give you.  I would not worry about single sets of high reps if done once, maybe twice, a week.  If anything, I find it encouraging to know I can do 25 or 30 pushups in one go, as that means the first sets of HBP ought to be no problem.  If you can choose your own pace, cadence and reps, then doing rep ranges roughly in line with your deload weeks should be fine.

 

If you cannot control these variables, if the instructor insists on a certain tempo and rep and makes everyone do it, you have less options.  Jeremy's option could work.  That said, I imagine Coach would say that you need to define your priorities: is it GST or is it kung fu?  If GST, then do your workouts as normal, and at kung fu, just tell the instructor you have a heavy chest day the other day, you don't want to risk or aggravate an injury and so you're going to go a little light on the pushups today.  Most instructors are completely okay with this.

 

Finally, you could always ask your instructor if he could lead a class through 5x15 reps with very little rest.  You won't get the iM most likely, but with a class to encourage and motivate you, you might break old plateaus, and once you do it once the mental barrier will be gone and you know you'll master it next workout.  If you really struggle with the mental side, this could really help.

The Hansenator

Thanks for the replies.

 

We only do one set of 10 reps but there are like nine different variations, some are quite difficult for me. I'm not very good at pushups and my triceps are quite sore today.

 

I'm thinking of scheduling my F workout the day after kung fu and just skipping the pushup part if I did them in class the day before.

Mark Collins

I would do the HBP the day before class as once you progress in this series the push up variations you do in martial arts will become easier. If you are always tired when you do the HBP you won't progress as quickly and be stuck in a rut. Once you have mastered PPP push ups are easy.

During class perform the amount of reps that don't dip into your recovery too much. This is only short term. Blending Foundation with other programs takes a bit of experimenting. I have Foundation as my priority to assist with other activities. I do this as I know when I have finished F4 my other training will be a lot easier.

The Hansenator

Is there a reason the F workouts should be done in the order presented, as in workout 1 then workout 2?

I've had the same thing with the SLS progression, I've kind of dropped it for now because of all the stance training.