Hey everyone,
This my first time posting anything on the forum. I'm having mild shoulder issues at the moment. It all started last summer in 2014 when I was doing a lot of pull ups and dips on the rings. Was also incorporating a lot of static handstand holds and some handstand walking. Never at all in the past have I had any shoulder issues or pain while doing those things. Right around that time I decided to get a dip belt and start adding weight to my pull ups and dips and after about two months, I worked up to 45 lbs in the belt, being only strong enough to do roughly 3 to 4 dips though.
After about two months of weighted dips/pull ups, my shoulder started feeling pretty tight and stiff on a daily basis. One day I started doing some arm circles to loosen it up and felt something kind of "go out" and after a few minutes my entire shoulder froze up to the point where I couldn't even lift my arm past shoulder height because of the pain. Went to bed that night and in my sleep lifted my arm over my head and felt and heard a "pop" that completely took away the pain. By the next morning I had 100% mobility back with zero pain.
Right after this happend, I stopped doing the weighted dips and pull ups and after a couple weeks found the video on YouTube with Coach Sommer talking to the barbell shrug crossfit guys about gymnasticbodies. I bought F1 and HS1 and started the GST program the beginning of Dec. 2014. The weighted dislocates were really improving the way my shoulders felt and the stiff/tightness feeling in my problem shoulder, completely disappeared.
Right near the end of January of this year, I was installing a pull up bar in my basement. I had just worked out right before building the pull up bar station, so my shoulder was already fatigued before doing a lot of drilling. A few hours after that my shoulder "went out" again. To be clear now, my shoulder isn't dislocating out of the socket, but when it happens it feels like something is going out right under the collar bone in the area. Right around where my pec meets the top where my front deltoid is. This time it didn't pop back in though. After two days of not being able to life my arm past shoulder height, I went to the doctors and he put me on prednisone to decrease the inflammation. I went home and a couple more days after that, I was laying on my back on the floor and tried lifting my arms over my head. This was very painful but I kept lifting them until both arms were straight over my head. Once my shoulder was in this position, I felt it pop back in and just like the first time it happened, the pain was gone and my mobility was back.
I live in MA and about a week later we started with all of those back to back snow storms. So pretty much for a month and a half, I was doing a lot of shoveling and snow blowing. This obviously made my shoulder pain worse. Ended up going back to the doctors and he sent me for an MRI which showed that I have a trace of bursitis and a type 2 acromion which may be a source of shoulder impingement. The MRI shows no rotator cuff or labrum tear though, which is great. My doctor basically said I can start light shoulder exercises as long as it doesn't cause pain.
For the last two weeks I've been doing internal and external rotation exercises with a resistance band which causes no pain and feels like it's strengthening my shoulder. I've also been incorporating both forward and backward Xiaopeng with a 3lb dumbbell. This doesn't really cause pain, but more of a burning sensation when my arm and dumbbell are at the top of the movement. I'm also doing incline ring rows which causes no pain and definitely feels like it's helping my rear delt/scapular strength. What my shoulder doesn't like are push ups and scapular push ups. Scapular push ups is actually when I get the most pain in that front delt/right below the collar area. It's actually a sharp pain I get when doing scap push ups as opposed to the burning sensation when doing Xiaopeng mobility.
I would appreciate any advise on what's the best exercise for healing my shoulder. I feel like ring rows are good for strength and I don't get any pain doing them, but I'm open to anything else I can do to get my shoulder back to normal. Sorry for the lengthy post! Just want to get this fixed!! ![]()