This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Including Prehab In Foundation One

Started by James Bannon, April 9, 2015 · 3 Replies · 246 Views

James Bannon

Hey All,

 

New to the forums, but glad to be here.

 

Some Background:

 

Two years ago I had surgery to repare a torn labrum on my right shoulder and last fall I went through Physical Therapy to help with a shoulder impingement/rotator cuff tendonitis. I have fairly slack joints so maintaining scapular activation

 

I completed PT and am back in the gym. I am interested in GST and  I chose the Foundation Series because it seems designed to prevent injury. I don't want to go through surgery again.

 

The Question:

 

Is it OK to incorporate some of the exercises that the physical therapist showed me into my foundation work? Is it necessary? These are the kinds of exercises I'm thinking about:

 

http://functionalresistancetraining.com/exercises/shoulder-stability-exercises

 

I would only do a couple of those, not all. Mostly some combo of internal and (side lying) external rotation and some lateral raises w/ light weight (5lbs ish).

 

 

In no way do I mean to question the programming of the Foundation series, I'm just paranoid about shoulder injuries.

 

 

Best,

JB

 

Mats Trane

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

It's absolutely ok to keep them the exercises. I've had some shoulder issues myself and also do some extra shoulder rehab.

sean

Welcome,

 

I too am in a similar boat, rotator and supraspinatous tendonitis for a long time. I have incorporated physio movements as well with success. Like you I re focused my attentions to GST after getting tired of injuries.  Myself I've stopped any and all other potential aggravating factors or sport activities etc, in hopes of getting better to avoid surgery. Damage is done so time to heal. With only Foundations iM/Stretching as my focus I no longer have to suffer with severe night pain thus far. But we are talking months of focused training/therapy not over night and each case is different. Nothing else has helped so far either.

 

Once I focused on GST it only showed me how much more was wrong that I wasn't aware of. In a good way cause it head off other potential injuries. To each their own though in life and training. Your body is the best barometer of how your doing and i have no regrets. Best of luck...

Cole Dano

Absolutely not a problem, just add the exercises into your warm up.