This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Block 3 Micro Cycling

Started by DBG Kampman, April 8, 2015 · 6 Replies · 346 Views

DBG Kampman

Hey Team,

 

I'd like some feedback on my block 3 'tweak'. I usually have issues getting reps with the 5x60r mastery templates on the beginning front lever progressions. The usual template is this.

 

Block 3

W1 - 4x48r

W2 - 4x60r

W3 - 5x60r

W4 - 5x30r

 

I find the 12r jump to be a bit much. Thus I split the block into 2 micro cycles. Ex:

 

Block 3a

W1 - 4x42r

W2 - 4x48r

W3 - 5x48r

W4 - 5x24r

 

Block 3b

W1 - 4x54r

W2 - 4x60r

W3 - 5x60r

W4 - 5x30r

 

I've found that this progression has been working tremendously for me. It allows me to keep making progression without any backslide and maintain the deload schedule. Anyone else do something similar?

 

Cheers,

Dylan

Joshua Slocum

I do something similar, except the killer for me is usualy the jump from week 5 to week 6 - a 50% volume increase in one week! So I split up microcycle 2 sometimes, but microcycle 3 has never given me issues.

Cycle 2s, 60r version:

4x24

4x28

5x28

5x15

Cycle 2s, 60r version:

4x32

4x36

5x36

5x18

Another trick I've found helpful for exercises where I struggle with the volume: on deload week, instead of cutting the reps in half, I will do two sets of the *target* total. So it would look something like this:

Week 7: 5x36

Week 8: 2x48

Week 9: 4x48

This way, deload week is still roughly half the volume of the previous week, but I get used to the volume per set that I'll be doing the following week.

Erik Rissanen

Joshua, why do you drop from 5x30 to 4x30 on the second cycle?

DBG Kampman

Thanks Josh, great insight. Much appreciated.

Leonhard Krahé
Erik Rissanen said:

Joshua, why do you drop from 5x30 to 4x30 on the second cycle?

I think there is hardly a way around some kind of drop when splitting up a microcycle into two. Because I found that in some exercises, I'd better drop to microcycle 2 and work my way up again (but slower), I have been juggling around with reps and sets a bit to split microcycle 2 of the 15r-version and not make that drop. So far, I haven't found a really adequate solution though.

Which one do you guys think is better:

15r2a.a

4x6

4x7

4x8

4x4

15r2a.b

5x8

4x9

5x9

5x5

 

or

 

15r2b.a

4x6

4x7

5x7

4x4

15r2b.b

4x8

4x9

5x9

Joshua Slocum
Erik Rissanen said:

Joshua, why do you drop from 5x30 to 4x30 on the second cycle?

Because I made a typo :)

Leonhard Krahé

Question answered :)