Which foam roller to choose ?

Started by MrPuppeh, April 7, 2015 · 9 Replies · 4,743 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

I am interested in testing out foam rolling for recovery.

 

What type of foam roll is best ?

Joshua Slocum

Start out with just a simple, cheap one. See how you like it. If it's not hard enough, get one with higher density foam. If it's too hard, get lower density foam. 

curtis

Try a variety. I use a smooth foam roller for quads, triceps and calves, and an aggressive shaped rumble roller for the overall back and glutes. These rollers are only for broad area work. For the smaller, targeted areas I employ a theracane,  tennis ball, lacrosse ball, and little beasties.  Without them I'm confident I would have more nagging injuries.

Dylan Robertson

Go check out Rogue Fitness' Mobility Section. Lots of great products!

TANSTAAFL

I love my M80, and have also loved using the Rumble Roller. Both deliciously expensive options for after you make sure rolling works for your needs.

Nick Roy

Walmart, black foam roller. I think it's medium or high density. Like most of the time, your best bet is to pick the simple choice. Don't bother with all the special foamrollers.

Cole Dano

No way to say what is best, in reality the differences aren't all that huge.

 

If your really just testing just get a cheap one, the biggest differences with more expensive models are in durability, once you have an idea of how firm you want.

dmcmanam

I have about 5.  Black J/Fit is my favorite. Lacrosse balls and Theracane are great too.

swhitley

If its somewhere I can reach (quads, inner elbows, calves etc), I just massage using my hands. I have had very good results calming down unhappy tendons without any equipment, and I find myself doing it much more frequently this way, such as when waiting for something to load on my pc. 

 

For anywhere else, I use a lacrosse ball/wooden broom handle/3cm wide pvc pipe. My foam roller feels too vague and doesnt seem to really hit the spot.

Wolf with one Ear

I have a high density foam, but also use some black plastic (PVC?) pipe that is the same diameter.  You can get it at most hardware stores in the US for cheap.  It is, of course, not soft, but I like it to really mash the tissue.  Great for  between the shoulder blades.  

 

I have also used a shot put  for rolling.