This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Passive stretching

Started by Richard Gould, April 6, 2015 · 11 Replies · 547 Views

Richard Gould

I appreciate the stretch series are intended to be performed once a week. Having been doing them for a few weeks now, I'm finding I'm pretty beat up and wouldn't want to them any more frequently. However, some elements, e.g MSs/pe22, I feel I could do more frequently and could hold for longer periods at a slightly less than maximal intensity, such as while reading a book. Would there be any value to incorporating some longer passive holds into my downtime, or will this detract from the more focused stretch sessions?

Coach Sommer

Good thinking. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stephen Majerle

I've though about this too. How long are you planning to hold them?

Richard Gould
Stephen M said:

I've though about this too. How long are you planning to hold them?

 

Not very helpful, but as long as I'm comfortable with on any given occasion. Probably start with around 5 minutes and try to build it up a bit over time. Not really coming at it with any specific goal, more just to spend time in a variety of positions, rather than spending too much time seated, so I'll mix in positions such as standing, bottom of a squat, seiza, middle split on wall, frog stand and maybe some yoga poses such as hero and pigeon pose as well.

 

Unfortunately, I can't really come up with any ideas to work on my more problematic areas, namely hip flexors and lumbar/thoracic flexion. Can't really see myself hanging out in vertical lunge anytime soon. Butterfly maybe.

Cole Dano

Just reading your book on your stomach will be a nice sub maximal stretch for that.

Coach Sommer
Richard Gould said:

... Unfortunately, I can't really come up with any ideas to work on my more problematic areas, namely hip flexors and lumbar/thoracic flexion. Can't really see myself hanging out in vertical lunge anytime soon. Butterfly maybe ...

 

 

Simply select some of the hip flexor and thoracic stretches from the Front Split and Thoracic Bridge series.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

DBeckerman

I increased my squat ROM by doing sub maximal stretching. It works well for me and mentally I find it refreshing!

Richard Gould
Coach Sommer said:

Simply select some of the hip flexor and thoracic stretches from the Front Split and Thoracic Bridge series.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sure. I just find these areas much more intense. Haven't found a position I can relax into that still feels effective.

After a week of doing daily 5-10 minute middle splits on the wall, I did the MS series yesterday and felt an enormous improvement. Was able to complete 10 reps of pancake roll throughs for the first time. Previously best I'd managed was 5. And just felt a lot smoother in all the pancake work.

Oussama KHELLADI
On 8/4/2015 at 2:08 PM, David Beckerman said:

I increased my squat ROM by doing sub maximal stretching. It works well for me and mentally I find it refreshing!

what stretch did you do ?

David Beckerman

I positioned myself in the squat laying on my back with my feet on the wall. I could sit in that position for quite awhile. I combined that with working my squats normally. 

SLS progressions helped too

Florian Nagel

yesterday i had an idea for a similar stretch. take your exercise ball and position yourself on it with your back (middle to upper back, depending on intensity of the stretch), squatting with your feet on the wall. you can roll with the ball slowly into the stretch, with your elbows you can gently push your knees/legs apart, if you like. through the form of the ball your back will be automatically slightly anterior. can be intense.

Oussama KHELLADI

thank you all