This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE17 - Consistency

Started by J0X, April 5, 2015 · 11 Replies · 458 Views

J0X

Hey guys, how do your typical sets look like when training for HBP?

 

Only counting flawless reps (those finishing in an open and stable HS) I had following results last training:

 

1,1,1,3,2,2,0,1,2 - Not very consistent at all. I am however happy with my form.

 

I always feel a slight improvement in control each week, but my progress is painfully slow... What is your experience? How long did you take for mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

I think that this element requires at least 5-6 hs seconds whenever you want. What is your level on H1?

J0X
alex87 said:

I think that this element requires at least 5-6 hs seconds whenever you want. What is your level on H1?

I dont do the H-Courses. However I have a solid handstand for 30seconds consistently. My max hold is approx 45 secs.

Alessandro Mainente

Can I see your handstand?

Mats Trane
J0X said:

What is your experience?

Slow for me as well. I havn't mastered 5x5 yet. But I don't mind. The challenge of this element is that it is both a skill/balance and a strenght exercise.

One of the major mistakes I did on theses in the beginning was not having done the negative (HBP 16) from free standing. I did the HBP 16 from a wall and rushed through so eager to get to the "cool exercise" which of course was stupid and I lost a lot of valuable training time getting frustrated for not getting the reps on HBP 17. So I actually went back to HBP 16 making sure to get a lot of consistent reps in.

Do you have a video?

J0X
alex87 said:

Can I see your handstand?

Alessandro Mainente

You need to open more your shoulders, this position actually does not guarantee a situation of rest in between the HBP 17 reps.

J0X
alex87 said:

You need to open more your shoulders, this position actually does not guarantee a situation of rest in between the HBP 17 reps.

Yes I am aware of that. I am putting in an effort to increase my shoulder flexion to obtain the last few degrees. I have found that while maybe 50 percent of my failed reps are due to balance, the other half are due to not being able to fully open the shoulders again. I am steadily improving though since I regularly do sets of 50 HS wall runs. How was your progress while training this PE?

J0X

Last session:

 

2,2,2,3,2,1,2 - much better... Its getting there...

Josh Wilensky

I am starting to worry about this one. I will be here in a week or two and I cannot hold a handstand. I am only on shoulder dislocates on H1. I can do handstand push-ups against a wall, but I can't balance a HS. Should I start trying to hold a handstand now? Any advice on how to approach this? Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

First of all can you film a video for an handstand attempt?

For sure dislocates will the open shoulder process that is important to approach this element. Of course if there is the necessity to have a fully correct handstand at the end you have no solution for now, you need handstand.

I know that in the Gb curriculum there is this statement:

"Foundation 3; prerequisites = F1, F2

corequisites = H1, H2"

Maybe we can produce a more precise  pre req. You can look for HS/SE4.

meanwhile you can experiment some free-hspu dynamic. the idea is try to be in the same context as the free hespu as much as possible.

My suggestion is work them against the wall (facing it) with the hands about 40-50 cm far from the wall.  if you start from the wall hs position you need to lower down until you reach the headstand position. use the wall is useful to emulate the legs and body movement during the negative position. use the wall to assist could be good if you hold one leg above you (this because you need the sensation of weight over the hands when you  hold the hs), and one leg on the wall and the other on hs position.

then lower down and move legs together as you reach the bottom position. press up reaching the hs position previously stated. then switch leg ( do not loose the core tension). see below. with the time you can try to take off the legs in a short hs and go down slow as much and you can.

slower is the rep more fingers control you will get. see below.

 

post-1151-0-14948200-1429473905_thumb.pn

J0X

So.. progress report:

 

After I managed to achieve 20 reps in 11 minutes two weeks ago in sets of 3 & 4, I have now gotten weaker somehow again, on some days I can't even bang out a single set of three proper reps... Frustrating, been on this element for 6 months now and I still havent nailed mastery... At least I am getting closer to straddle planche and manna. Pretty much stuck on everything else. How are you guys managing? Have you achieved mastery by now?