This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NEED HELP : Hip joint ROM in side to side squat.

Started by Hanlim Lee, April 4, 2015 · 11 Replies · 405 Views

Hanlim Lee

https://youtu.be/-kO7zyPqe-g


 


is this and SLS/PE3  same?


 


It is strange that same workout is labeled as mobility at stretch course and strength at Foundation


 


 


I want to know specifically that what part of my body should be stretched.


 


and I have very poor ROM, as seen in the video. 


 


I can't sit deep enough making M shape when I move my weight from one side to the other. 


 


How can I increase ROM?


 


I want to increase the ROM but I don't know where to focus. Please help. 


 

Daniel Stephan

Yes, this exercise is the same as SLS/PE3. I think it's in the stretch courses to warm up the adductors and other lower body muscles.

 

For me, it helped to slide the straight leg farther out to the side when squatting down. This allowed me to have my heel staying on the ground and therefore to balance. Maybe you also have tight ankles, which can be a limiting factor in this movement.

Cole Dano

The preliminary SLS help develop general hip, knee, and ankle strength and mobility. Most people can do some form of them but with restricted ROM. 

 

In the Stretch courses, any ROM is OK as mentioned above, it's a warm up here. In the Foundation Course the goal is to get it to mastery standards, hips stay below knee level. It's an essential step to being able to get in the proper position to hole SLS.

 

Doing both is ideal, they will work synergistically together.

Hanlim Lee
Cole Dano said:

 

In the Stretch courses, any ROM is OK as mentioned above, it's a warm up here. In the Foundation Course the goal is to get it to mastery standards, hips stay below knee level. It's an essential step to being able to get in the proper position to hole SLS.

 

Doing both is ideal, they will work synergistically together.

 

to get my hips below knees, what should I do?

 

when it comes to mobility, it's really hard to tell what should I do to get better.

 

If it were strength problem, I could do many other variations to train my muscle.

 

for example I could start with negative pull up if I can't do a single strict pull up.

 

 

but in mobility problems... well... what can I do if my joints and ligaments are not mobile to reach enough ROM?

 

I think to increase ROM, I have to practice in somewhat uncomfortable ROM.

 

but now, when practicing side to side squat, I don't feel any pain or soreness,

 

which means I 'm only using already available ROM, not pioneering locked ROM

 

 

What should I do? lol

Cole Dano

Keep working the MSH course, though the StS is a warm up here, there is a great deal of deep stretching that follows which will help given diligent practice.

Mats Trane
Hanlim Lee said:

[url=https://youtu.be/-kO7zyPqe-g]https://youtu.be/-kO7zyPqe-

 

 

How can I increase ROM?

 

I want to increase the ROM but I don't know where to focus. Please help.

Try this. Sit down in a squat like in the attached picture. As you bend down make sure to keep your chest up and back straight. I think of putting an arch in my back as I bend down. Feel the difference?

It looks like you are bending forward in your lower back.

Same goes for pancake, put an arch in your back and THEN lean forward.

post-90-0-80727900-1428511233_thumb.jpg

Hanlim Lee
Mats Trane said:

Try this. Sit down in a squat like in the attached picture. As you bend down make sure to keep your chest up and back straight. I think of putting an arch in my back as I bend down. Feel the difference?

It looks like you are bending forward in your lower back.

Same goes for pancake, put an arch in your back and THEN lean forward.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You mean keep anterior pelvic tilt, APT, while I sit down? 

Mats Trane

Yes

BeanLion
Mats Trane said:

Try this. Sit down in a squat like in the attached picture.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

 

Also known as the Zoidberg

Hanlim Lee
Mats Trane said:

Yes

whoa I tried this last night. but can't keep APT at all !!!!

 

As I sit down, without exception, butt winks. 

 

I must have seriously stiff something. What is it? what part of my body is too stiff to make it impossible?

 

 

Actually I suffered from this lack of mobility when I was doing squat. because of this I couldn't activate my hamstring.

 

I tried to find cure before but couldn't and gave up squatting.

DonGray

I'm in the same position, crap ankle flexibility, crap hip flexibility.  But I've noticed that trying to do these as often as possible is helping and gradually I'm getting more and more mobility....

 

I wonder how long it took Orench to get to the depth that he's at now??  Does anyone know how long he has spent seriously stretching?

Koenraad Van Leemput

Not exactly, but Coach mentions during the video that he started with very poor mobility and that it took a few years of diligent practice to get where he is now.