This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Role of headstand in handstand development

Started by vannybute, April 2, 2015 · 9 Replies · 661 Views

vannybute

What is the point of the headstand in the handstand progression? 

Joshua Slocum

Head stands are good for developing comfort with being upside down, for learning to keep your torso and lower body tight, and for learning to balance upside down.

vannybute

Okay. Thanks!

Coach Sommer
GenericGymnast said:

What is the point of the headstand in the handstand progression? 

 

If someone can't hold an inverted balance with three points of support, how could they possibly manage it with only two points of support?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Awesssss

Active flexibility.

Clay

I've found that it's surprisingly good for my wrists. When my wrists get fatigued, keeping perfectly still and balanced seems harder and less precise. This effect has decreased as I've progressed with headstands and the other H1 exercises.

kingzlo
Joshua Slocum said:

Head stands are good for developing comfort with being upside down, for learning to keep your torso and lower body tight, and for learning to balance upside down.

Yes.

Coach Sommer said:

If someone can't hold an inverted balance with three points of support, how could they possibly manage it with only two points of support?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

To extend what Coach mentioned.  Your wrist are being developed as well as your shoulders.  They have to get strong(er) in order to hold your bodyweight, like your legs hold your bodyweight.  As I thought more as I'm writing, I'm thinking of how my child, when she was a baby, got her strength developed for walking.  In that sense, your wrists are like your ankles and your shoulders are like your hips.  They have to get developed to handle the load of holding, even walking, your whole body.

 

I'm getting a better perspective on that as I'm progressing with holding up my bodyweight in HS/PE3 (worked my way with Mastery and looking forward to HS/PE4).  Enjoy the journey.

greekdawg

I'm in week 1 of forearm stand and for the life of me,I can't figure it out.....yet.

I rock back and forth while upside down and never seem to really have a "solid" position. I either fall backwards and fall forwards, any tips, cues, or additional pointers??

I also can't figure out the hand positions and how to support my head...

Cole Dano
greekdawg said:

I'm in week 1 of headstand and for the life of me,I can't figure it out.....yet.

I rock back and forth while upside down and never seem to really have a "solid" position. I either fall backwards and fall forwards, any tips, cues, or additional pointers??

I also can't figure out the hand positions and how to support my head...

 

If you can, post a video in form check forum showing us what is happening with your attempts. This will make it much easier to give you concrete advice. 

greekdawg
Cole Dano said:

If you can, post a video in form check forum showing us what is happening with your attempts. This will make it much easier to give you concrete advice. 

Sorry for the delay.  Had a family emergency to attend to.....  Also, wanted to point out I am in the forearm stand progression not headstand.  Already mastered that.

Having said that, I figured some things out.....  I learned I was placing my upper arms to wide away from my head.  Having now brought them in closer, I am able to much easier hold the forearm stand.

 

However, I still struggle with holding the form so to speak.  If I wiggle or lean out of perfect alignment, I fall forward or backwards and don't know what to do to correct myself with out falling backwards or forwards.  

 

Also, if I am going to fall backwards what should I do to prevent crashing violently to the ground?  I think that fear is also hindering my progress as well...... 

 

If need be, I can post a video this week.