Hanging leg lifts harder on a free bar

Started by Awesssss, April 2, 2015 · 11 Replies · 3,324 Views

Awesssss

Am I the only one who thinks hanging leg lifts are easier on a free bar than on stall bars?

 

Any ideas on why I would think so?

MT Nordic

No, we all think they're easier on a free bar than on stall bars because they are.  You recruit more back muscles and you don't need as much flexibility or hip flexor/ab compression. That's why we do them on stall bars.

Awesssss

I don't know what's wrong with me then. I find them harder on a free bar. It feels like when I'm doing hany hanging leg lifts on stall bars I press my back against the stall bar to get force, in a free bar there is nothing to press against to recruite force.

Awesssss

My shoulders are relaxed and next to my ears. I don't actively press my back against the stall bars, but when I come up with my legs, my back is pressed against the stall bars naturally, automaticaly, which I feel like helps me in the motion. Something that is lacking with free bars.

Vincearoo

Are these half leg lifts are full, toe to bar, leg lifts?

Awesssss

I can not do full ones. However, when I do them, I don't stop at a certain range. I just go as high as possible.

Alessandro Mainente

If you are weak on front lever progression, the sensation of lack of strength on free bar is normal.

Bipocni

I definitely changes once you hit full ROM. I have a devil of a time trying to complete the move using only compression. My back just takes over far too much.

Jon Douglas

Full ROM is a complete game changer.

Plus for 1-2 reps you might feel artificially stronger by bracing yourself against the bars. But that's an illusion and your legs will get heavier with time :)

Awesssss

Ok. I'm too weak to know any better. :(

Awesssss

Just an update. I can do full hanging leg lifts on stall bars now and yeah, it is much harder on stall bars than on free bar.

 

I should really think hard before I make threads this stupid...

Alexander Egebak
Hollow Man said:

Just an update. I can do full hanging leg lifts on stall bars now and yeah, it is much harder on stall bars than on free bar.

 

I should really think hard before I make threads this stupid...

We all have our stupid threads and posts.

 

I remember 2 years ago (where I only knew broscience) where I said (and believed it to be a fact) to a guy that "chin ups do not work the lats". I am having "cringe attacks" once in a while from that.

 

Luckily we are always learning, and perhaps you learn the most from the worse kind of mistakes. At least I hope that applies to me!