This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC - PE 1 - Golfers Elbow - Workout adaption advice please?

Started by Simon P, April 1, 2015 · 6 Replies · 169 Views

Simon P

Hello everyone

 

I have been going along with F1 and H1 now for about 6 weeks and am really enjoying the program. 

 

In the past week I've developed pain on the inside of my left elbow joint. I went to my physio yesterday and she diagnosed just some slight tendonitis/golfers elbow. 

 

I just wanted to get anyones advice in respect to carrying on training without making it worse.

 

I currently train Thai boxing 3 times a week and have been doing GB on a 4 times every 8 days schedule ( I do it according to my work shifts). 

 

I did have a wrist operation in December on my left wrist so most likely the increase in workload along with post surgery weakness has lead to this. 

 

I am currently on week 9 with RC PE1 and week 9 and it seems to be this which is the culprit. 

 

I was suspecting perhaps press ups could be a problem with HBP PE1  (with H1 / F1 and Thai boxing combined thats a lot of press ups in a week) but press ups don't seem to hurt as much as I thought they would when I have tried to odd one out. I will test it this evening to be sure when I do this weeks GB workout. 

 

My plan is to outright give up Hinge Rows for a week or 2  but carry on with press ups as long as they don't hurt and then come back to Hinge Rows and go back to week 5 once things have calmed down. Of course if press ups do hurt then also give these and H1 a rest for a few weeks as well. 

 

Does this sound like a decent plan? From what I've read, Coach advises with tendon inflammation of any sort  to rest, rest and rest.

 

I'd like to keep the rest of my work going and keep the momentum I've got at the moment but of course want to be wise. 

 

Any advice or recommendations from people with this sort of problem or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks 

 

Simon 

 

Jon Douglas

Sorry, but there is really no real cure aside from rest for tendon inflammation... You can work around it with some things, but if it is an issue with hinge rows it is hard to dial back further :)

Give it a week. Focus on boxing, don't overextend and keep your elbows soft. Remember it's all nonsense unless the power flows through to your fists; no one cares if *you* feel the power, if it's not transferred to your opponent then you're the only one that feels it :)

Dial down some, heal and be ready to train technique. Light bicep curls may help you rehab on the way to resuming training, but getting back on the str train should be your priority.

Awesssss

I know you're not asking for how to cure your elbow, rather how to do with training, but that link might do you some good.

 

Personally, I would rest and rest. Then you might want to condition your elbows, so that this doesn't happen again.

Ravn

Keep training the stuff that doesn't hurt, and closely monitor your injury. Don't tolerate pain, and you should be on the right track. Also stretching the hand and finger flexors several times throughout the days alleviates soreness and pain, and can accelerate recovery by relieving flexor spasms.

Coach Sommer

- Rest for one to two weeks until you are painfree.

- Begin PE1 over again following the 5rep template. When you have mastered that then progress onward to the 10rep template. If both of these are completed painfree, then you may once again resume work on the 15rep template.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Simon P

Thank you so much for the replies guys and to you Coach for jumping in. 

 

I will follow the steps recommended. I've tried both workouts of F1 (just leaving out Hinge Rows of course)  one last night , one this morning and everything was ok , even the press ups. 

 

I also tried a H1 workout and although the pain was minimal , due to the extra tension most likely in the forearms , I could feel a slight irritation so I will give that a rest for a week or 2 also.

 

So just so I got this right, I plan to

 

- Give Hinge Rows a break for a week or 2 , then come back to it firstly with a 5 rep template, then 10 , then finally 15....

- Also give H1 a workout for a week or 2 

 

i plan to also try a F7 twice a week template with H1 chucked in once a week so I can give myself a full 2 days rest along with my other training. 

 

Thank you for the advice John Douglas, you're right with the Muay Thai, its fine as long as I focus on technique, soften those elbows and don't push too hard. I'm not fighting anymore so just do it for the fitness and I love learning the art so theres no need to push in that area. 

 

Definitely starting to see how detailed and in depth this program is, I will most definitely learn patience with this as well as all the other benefits, just what I need. 

 

Thank you once again guys 

 

Simon 

 

ps. I will take a look at that link Hollow man, prevention is always the best idea