This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

tBR/SE5 seal stretch questions

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, April 1, 2015 · 6 Replies · 229 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi!

few questions about seal stretch.

My form is something like this:

post-10847-142788200592_thumb.jpg

Two questions:

1. I noticed my arms are slightly inclined. I wonder if my shoulders should be just above my hands, i.e. arms completely vertical.

2. I can keep my legs in contact with the floor till knees. Is it correct or should I keep only feet in contact?

If you see something else to fix, let me know![emoji4]

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

I prefer to stay in contact with all the quads and lower hips.

the arched position should be reached by maximizing the upper body arch, so the shoulders need to be pulled back and depressed while trying to open your chest to the ceiling

Jon Douglas

Same.

Put as much upper body as possible along the ground whilst simultaneously stretching as high as possible. It's sort of like hollow holds; going 'long' with 'up' as a secondary.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

I tried to keep quads and lower hips in contact with the floor, but I realized it is too hard for me to do that while keeping my hands at shoulder width and height, just like in the video demonstraation. If I widen the distance between my hands and/or put then more forward I am able to do that.

So I wonder What I should do to work properly on this stretch:

moving my arms forward but always at shoulder width apart till I can keep quads and lower hips in contact with the floor?

Or can I also widen my arms more than shoulder width?

Thanks to all!

Cole Dano

Go slowly with this. at first most people will not be able to press the legs and pubic bone into the floor.

 

One comment, that I didn't see on your photo, don't crane the neck back, it doesn't help with seal at all.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Cole Dano said:

Go slowly with this. at first most people will not be able to press the legs and pubic bone into the floor.

 

One comment, that I didn't see on your photo, don't crane the neck back, it doesn't help with seal at all.

Basically, Cole, do you suggest me to keep arms just like in the video demonstration, no wonder if I can't currently keep my whole quad in contact with the floor?

Also two more stuffs I forgot to ask:

1. should elbow pits face forward, and not internally? It looks like they are pointed forward in the video demonstration, am I right?

2. should legs be closed each other? I unconsiounsely keep them a bit separated...

Thanks again Cole!

Cole Dano

Personally I have no problem with experimenting with hand placement as long as you know the long term goal.

 

Hands forward is often used in yoga, this will allow legs to come to the floor and provide leverage. The caveat here is not to push into your lower back.