This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow Pain

Started by aiken54, April 1, 2015 · 0 Replies · 128 Views

aiken54

Alas, after nearly two years of having not even a wincing pain from my strength training, my elbow seems to have developed a problem. 

 

Today, I began my regular warm up for Foundation FL, sPL, HBP, and RC. I began as usual with a 1:15 straight arm plank with no pain or discomfort whatsoever. I then decided to do some elevated push ups, instead of the normal push ups followed by PPP, as I was feeling pretty sore today (I'll get to that in a minute). On my first rep I immediately felt a sharp pain at the base of my triceps about a half inch above my right elbow. I immediately stopped, and, quite frustrated, decided to see if this pain was present in pulling exercises. I laid down and did a single row, and felt the same sensation, and again with a brief bent arm chin hang. So I decided it was best not to push it, did my FL training, and went straight to my HS training, which is low intensity enough at this point that I was fine doing that. 

 

Does this sound like some sort of tendinitis? The reason I was feeling slightly sore was because I had run out of cauliflower and strawberries, as well as grapes and a few other things which I use in my pre and post workout which aid greatly in recovery. That, combined with mediocre nutrition the past week or so contributed to this feeling.

 

My elbows have never felt particularly strong, but they've gotten a lot better than where they once were. I've had issues in the past (about two years ago), but foundation has been really helping. I haven't had pain in my elbows in ages. My foundation progress is as listed below. I'm on week 3 of a microcycle, with the only new elements being sPL/SE1 (week 11) and HBP/PE4 (week 11). 

 

I cannot figure out what is the cause of this pain, and I'm deeply frustrated by it. Maybe I was just feeling achy today (my hip flexor was bothering me too, as I tweaked it climbing about ten days ago), but I'm certainly not going to write this off under that. Injury from my other endeavors such as tricking is easy. I know what caused it and what to do next time to prevent it. This is just frustrating.

 

Based on the description of the pain and the circumstances surrounding it, what could this be? And what could have caused it?

 

 

Edit: In the interest of transparency and inevitably being called an idiot by Coach, I did not achieve adequate ROM on my previous HS iMs, which resulted in quite wide dislocates. Could dislocates without previously developing adequate ROM in the previous HS iMs be the cause of elbow tendinitis? 

 

The only other place where my standards have slipped has been RC progressions, where I have prematurely done PE7 in workouts while only being on week 6 of PE6. This won't happen anymore.