This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do with next day stiffness

Started by BeanLion, March 31, 2015 · 7 Replies · 418 Views

BeanLion

So after a lunch session of F7 and then the FSs in the evening yesterday I felt like I was getting into a much better pike.

 

Today though I'm quite stiff, so obviously my flexibility has been reduced because of this. Should I just rest the stiffness or try to stretch it?

 

Thanks

 

 

Stephen Majerle

I would rest.

Nick Roy

This post about recovery is the most effective I've ever used if you have the time to do so.

It's meant for long runs or heavy workout days

http://strengthrunning.com/2010/08/running-recovery/

The whole page is worth reading, but if you just want the recovery routine, here it is:

"When you finish running, the real recovery starts. Here is my routine that I stick to for every long run:

Within 10 minutes of stopping, I make sure to have a lot of protein and simple sugars. I have an iron stomach so I like a glass of chocolate milk with a protein scoop (my favorite running recovery supplement) and a piece of fruit.

Within 30 minutes of finishing, I’ll have at least 3 full glasses of water. This is so important if it’s hot out. I also do 10-15 minutes of light strength exercises and drills – dynamic stretching helps me avoid getting too tight.

Within 45-60 minutes, I have a full meal focusing on protein, low GI (glycemic index) carbs, and healthy fats like olive oil or avocado. I try to eat a lot of veggies in this meal to reduce inflammation and get my vitamins. American record holder in the half-marathoner Ryan hall knows the importance of vegetables for recovery. One of his latest tweets on twitter (@RyanHall3) read “Kale, spinach, ginger, carrot, beet juice to kick off recovery after a HARD 23 miler.” He knows his stuff.

Within 90 minutes, I take a shower, continue drinking water, and start winding down. This is more of a mental recovery period for me.

After 2 hours, I take a 1.5-2 hour nap. Ryan Hall calls his naps “business meetings” because they are part of his job to get faster. This is when your body starts to really repair the damage from your hard workout or long run. Take this seriously!

After the nap, I have some green tea or coffee. Caffeine speeds recovery and both are perfect running recovery drinks. Next I’ll go for a 10 minute easy walk or do some light drills to loosen up."

DBeckerman

I like to do some form of active recovery. For me it's sport. Or I'll move through my full ROM ensuring it is mobility rather than stretching.

MT Nordic

There's limbering and then there's stretching.  When you really stretch, you will make yourself sore and that's because you are working those muscles hard getting them into new ranges of motion.  with limbering you are not doing that.  I like to limber when i am sore from stretching.  it helps maintain that new ROM and it helps loosen up stiff muscles and get blood flow moving into the area better.  a light run or some other form of active recovery as noted above would be great to do before, then follow it up with some EASY stretching.  The key is not to overdo the hard stretching, which is why coach, and most other practitioners, only recommend hard sessions once per week.  

~Atticus
MT Nordic said:

When you really stretch, you will make yourself sore and that's because you are working those muscles hard getting them into new ranges of motion.....The key is not to overdo the hard stretching, which is why coach, and most other practitioners, only recommend hard sessions once per week.  

 

Could this stiffness also be a consequence of the connective tissue adjusting to the stretching more so than muscles?

 

As an aside, I do yoga (the hot yoga) along with F7, and I had a noticeable reduction in ROM after my first two stretch series (FSs) when I went into the yoga studio -- particularly with respect to the pike compression.  But it's now getting better.   

Rob Rowland

Limber, move, endure.

BeanLion

Thanks, yeah limbering seems to be the ideal scenario for that stiffness