This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

lower back pain during sl/pe2-I'm standing trunk circle

Started by goshengym, March 31, 2015 · 8 Replies · 161 Views

goshengym

As the topic title states, I am having lower back pain performing the standing trunk circle mobility exercise. This isn't the discomfort touched on in a other post, but actual pain, experienced. I do have a history of lower back issues (soft tissue).

I am wondering if there is a substitute mobility exercise I could use?

I experience the pain predominantly when I am leaning back moving in a clockwise direction.

As this I am only on week 2 of foundation one, I am concerned this will affect much of the rest of the programming regarding my ability to progress if I can't do this mobility exercise.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick Roy

Stop doing PE2. It sucks, but drop down to PE1. You're overstretching the muscles before they're ready and that's leading your body to rely on the spine to bear unnecessary amount of weight.

When doing PE1, make sure to feel the stretch in the Russian twists and that you get the full range of motion. The obliques help stabilize the spine, so if trunk circles are hurting, it's a mix between the obliques not doing part of their job from either being too weak or the stretch is deep enough for them to be shutting "off".

Nick Roy

Your lower back might need some warming up before SL progressions as well.

Alexander Egebak

I agree. This is what I am currently working on with my right side now. Pain from lumbar spinal extension if not warmed up, limited ROM in PE1 to the left side.

Cole Dano

The FL iM's will help with this.

 

While performing the backward part movement make sure that you are actively using your glutes to push forward as well as lifting your chest to distribute the curve evenly through the spine.

Mats Trane
goshengym said:

I experience the pain predominantly when I am leaning back moving in a clockwise direction.

Thanks

 

How does your lower back feel when you do FL/PE1 iM (Cat-Cow)?

 

As you arch back, be sure to actively squuezze your glutes/but up towards your lower back.

It´s easy to just lower back relaxed in the glutes. 

goshengym

Nick Roy

Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Stop doing PE2. It sucks, but drop down to PE1. You're overstretching the muscles before they're ready and that's leading your body to rely on the spine to bear unnecessary amount of weight.

When doing PE1, make sure to feel the stretch in the Russian twists and that you get the full range of motion. The obliques help stabilize the spine, so if trunk circles are hurting, it's a mix between the obliques not doing part of their job from either being too weak or the stretch is deep enough for them to be shutting "off".

Unfortunately I feel the same pain while doing PE1-IM as well. However the marked increase in sets in PE2-IM really set it off. On top of that this is my third time starting at the start due to a variety of reasons where I could not progress.

Nick Roy's PhotoNick Roy

Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Your lower back might need some warming up before SL progressions

I'll definitely give that a shot as well.

Cole Dano's PhotoCole Dano

Today, 01:10 AM

The FL iM's will help with this.

While performing the backward part movement make sure that you are actively using your glutes to push forward as well as lifting your chest to distribute the curve evenly through the spine.

I have tried setting the glutes during the exercise to no avail. However I know that is key to supporting a back especially during movement like that.

How does your lower back feel when you do FL/PE1 iM (Cat-Cow)?

As you arch back, be sure to actively squuezze your glutes/but up towards your lower back.

It´s easy to just lower back relaxed in the glutes.

It feels fine in cat cow.

And do you mean setting glutes during cat cow as well?

Nick Roy

Did you have any back pain issues prior to starting foundation?

Or going from sitting alot to full F1 routines?

Mark Collins

If you are having pain with PE1 then you need to spend more time at this level,with reduced repetitions and ROM. Make the circles tighter and as Cole stated, keep the glutes activated as you extend the back. I have had a similar problem with PE2 body circles. I have an extension instability so if I do not focus on extending the hips with the low back I am sore for a few days. So I have to really focus on using the whole spine and hips together. I also spent an extra 4 weeks on this exercise even though I could get the reps done.

Remember that we are training the connective tissue as well as the muscular system. Don't hurry through this as when the connective tissue is ready you will be able to do these pain free.