Scapula position in shoulder stretch

Started by OMGpumas, March 27, 2015 · 11 Replies · 3,260 Views

OMGpumas

I was wondering what scapula position people recommend for this kind of shoulder stretch:

 

grov.jpg

 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/41/grov.jpg

 

When I focus on protracting the scapula I feel the stretch more in my lats. When I focus on retracting them I feel the stretch more in my pecs. In either case I keep the scapula elevated as much as possible.

 

To me these two positions seem to focus the stretch differently, but I was wondering if anyone had insight into what scapula positions are best for this. My goal is to open my shoulders more for better handstand alignment and bridge work.

 

(Thanks to Vagabond for the photo demonstrating the stretch.)

Krel

Elevated and protracted.

Don't retract during shoulder flexion work.

athleticandrey
Krel said:

Elevated and protracted.

Don't retract during shoulder flexion work.

Why not retract? I understand that for the development of proper shoulder flexion for handstand it's a bad idea, but perhaps for bridge work it could help? for example if you want to stretch the thoracic spine?

Krel

Coach Sommer explained this on the F1 forum so I'm not sure if I may quote him here.

Jon Douglas

Elevate and protract. To me that's end of story; it's a way scaled down bridge stretch-- shoulder flexion.

athleticandrey
Jon Douglas said:

Elevate and protract. To me that's end of story; it's a way scaled down bridge stretch-- shoulder flexion.

I see, but what about the full bridge? the scaps should also be elevated and protracted in that position?

Krel

Yes.

OMGpumas

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. What is the rationale for protracting in this stretch? Why would retracting be a problem?

 

Krel, you mention Coach posted an explanation in the F1 forum. I understand that you don't want to quote outside of the forum, but could you provide a link, or a keyword to search for? I've tried searching the F1 forum, but haven't found the post you mention.

dmcmanam

For better handstand alignment I agree with all of the above; however, besides gymnastics, I take some ballet and contortion classes and we are often told  to retract & externally rotate for bridge and other backbend work! Both techniques are valid, most contortionists & dancers never develop enough scapula elevation strength for  that to work well for them in bridge so I think they choose for aesthetic and other reasons to place the stretch more in the lats/triceps.

Joshua Slocum

There's no reason you can't retract in the stretch to get at your pecs. However, as a bridge warmup, you should elevate and protract, since that's the position in which you want to be bridging. You want elevation and protraction in the bridge because that sets you up for better strength and stability: if you want to do a walkover or a reverse planche or a handspring, you're going to want to be protracted, not retracted.

OMGpumas

Very interesting, thanks Joshua. Good to know the above shoulder stretch is useful in protracted and retracted positions—I do feel a nice stretch in the pecs and lats when retracting and protracting, respectively. Also good to hear the reasoning for protracting in bridge work, I did not know that. Thanks for the insight.