This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question I'm sure has been answered

Started by Nick Roy, March 26, 2015 · 10 Replies · 245 Views

Nick Roy

It sounds obvious, but I still have to ask. If I'm on the third minicycle of a movement like HBP/PE2 and I complete week 1 successfully, but fail on a set for week 2. Do I repeat week 2 of that mini cycle until successful completion?

Jon Douglas

If you are hitting failure at week 2, I would first double-check that you have mastered the previous progression correctly :) Things shouldn't be too difficult in the first microcycle, when you are ironing out your technique with singles.

Sensei JP

Obviously, if you cannot do 4x15, it makes no sense for your next workout to do 5x15.  Stick with 4x15 until you get it, deloading as necessary.

 

That said, if you are not making progress, you might need to 'baby step' forward.  For example, instead of 4x12 during Week 1 of the cycle, you might try 1x15 and 3x12, hoping every workout you can up one set from 12 to 15.  Alternatively, you can try 5x12, which is the same volume as 4x15 but spread out a bit more, making it more manageable.

 

The jumps in the third cycle between weeks are huge, for all exercises.  In week 9 for HBP, total volume is 48 reps, which rises to 60 during week 10 and 75 in week 11.  It's no surprise these are challenging weeks, so do what you need to meet the volume demands.

Alessandro Mainente

If you have completed the first week that, if i'm not wrong, is 3x3, i suppose you can move on. on the week 2 (5x3) if you fail on 5th set or 4th set is not a problem, you are simply adding more work and you need to adapt. the problem is if you are failing on the 2nd or 3rd set. basically some people think that they can move on when they reach a certain mastery. This is my idea: can I do one reps more on the last set? if yes i will move on, if not I need to use the same template again.

I use this approach with every element, one rep/sec more in the last set mean surplus adaptation. if you move on you are sure that risk of injury is very very very  low.

vinca_minor

He said 3rd minicycle, guys.   he's going from 4x12 to 4x15.

Joshua Slocum

If you can't do 4x15, you could try 4x13 or 5x12. Make whatever improvements you can. 

Alessandro Mainente

OK, basically what Joshua said is my same idea. Intermediate reps schema, another solution is add one more set at the end, add a couple of super slow negative at the end of last set.

Nick Roy

Yea, I just finished week 9 and completed 4x12 during F7. I was just asking ahead if I were to fail on a set of 4x15 when on week 10 should I repeat the week until done or drop back to week 9. Or switch between week 10 and 12 for deload.

Nick Roy

Thanks for the advice everyone

Nick Roy
Mats Trane said:

Thanks for this. Had my exact question.

"I'm stuck on a certain week, what do I do?

First of all, make sure you have actually failed to do the required sets/reps and not just assumed you would fail because you barely squeaked by the previous week. If you do attempt the week and fail, the simplest solution is simply to repeat it once.

If you still can't pass that week, take note of when your deload week should happen and repeat the week until passing it or reaching the deload week. Do the deload and then try the week again after. If you pass, continue to the next week. If you still fail, start the block/microcycle over again regardless of which week you stuck on. "