This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1>iM - technique revelation on skiers

Started by Jay B., March 26, 2015 · 13 Replies · 385 Views

Jay B.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what skiers are supposed to do.

 

They felt really effective once I started just angling my hips at 45 degrees as though I was in a boxing stance and maintaining the 45 degrees through the entire squat. I feel a fantastic stretch in my hips and ankles. I feel like this helped open up my hips as much as the standing hip circles, which I did not expect.

 

I'm just posting this in case this description helps people who couldn't figure them out from any other description.

Giovanni Garcea

Hi, can you explain this a little more? I'm not sure I understand the 45 degrees angle. I'm also trying to figure this movement out and I would benefit from understanding your suggestion.

Jay B.

 

At 1:09 his hips are square to you, at 1:14 they're 90 degrees away from you, and you'll notice if you pause on the correct stance at 1:23, his hips are 45 degrees away, halfway between the too frontward-facing stance and the too sideways stance.

 

Once you go past 1:24 he starts getting into foot alignment and that might just confuse you, so disregard that.

 

If you stand as he stands at 1:24, you'll notice your hips are slightly turned. Keep your hips turned, bring your feet together and squat. I find that, when I'm standing to begin squatting,I have to bend my knees at varying degrees to keep my hips turned. If your legs are straight and you try to turn your hips you'll just torque your knees. Only squat as low as you can while maintaining that 45 degree angle in your hips. I'm pretty sure I read on here that your feet have to touch during this movement, but your knees do not.

 

If you do it right you'll feel it in your ankles and REALLY feel it in your hips.

Jon Douglas

I feel these entirely in the outside of my hips. Nothing else seems to get the same spot quite as hard. I'm very pleased with how much milage there is in a PE1>im :)

Cole Dano

The mobility elements of SLS form Coach Sommer's Knee Series, keep your shins facing forward and move your hips to the side while lowering, you should feel a gentle tug at the lateral knee.

 

Of course you may feel this elsewhere, but that is the main focus.

Giovanni Garcea

Thanks for all the tips. It was on schedule tonight and I definitely felt it in the ankles, but not much going on elsewhere. I will have to try this movement a few more times to achieve the needed focus.

john_c
Cole Dano said:

 Coach Sommer's Knee Series

Hmm, when is the Knee series coming out ? I didn't see that in the curriculam, then again the Stretch series wasn't either.

Cole Dano

Sorry to confuse you, the iM's are the knee series.

The point being they are knee prehab.

Jay B.
Cole Dano said:

The mobility elements of SLS form Coach Sommer's Knee Series, keep your shins facing forward and move your hips to the side while lowering, you should feel a gentle tug at the lateral knee.

 

Of course you may feel this elsewhere, but that is the main focus.

If this is true then I haven't figured out the technique and this thread is actually bad advice. Feel free to delete.

Awesssss

I usually hear some cracking in my knees. But the cracking is like when I crack my fingers.

Ryan Reynolds

To me the hips moving to the side comes from rotation at the ankle and from shifting your weight to the inside/outside of your feet as though your making a turn in skiing or skating.  When turning the right hip forward your weight will be on the inside of the right foot and the outside of the left and vise versa when going to the left.  Pay close attention to the athletes feet and ankles in the demonstration video everything else he's doing is just a regular squat.

 

Before doing the skiers I would first practiced the weight shifting and ankle rotations a few times while just standing straight up with my feet together to get the feel for what's going on in the feet and ankles.  I feel almost a torqueing sensation through my feet as I do this.  Then add the squat while in the fully rotated position.  As you squat down fight to keeping your knees as stacked over your feet as much as possible.  One knee will be farther forward than the other due to the rotation at the ankle but the hips and knees are just hinging as in a regular squat.

sean

I would agree with my fellow Canuk that I feel a little torque in the knee and blocking in my bum ankle on the lower portion depending on the side I'm working on. I believe this is just a lack of mobility since with practice I have noticed it has helped improve my ROM in the that bum ankle as a bonus. I'm also able to sink lower than I used to as things loosen up and with hard earned practice.

I was told to think of it as trying to sit in a chair that is off to the side from where I am standing to get my hips lower if that makes sense. As my knees and ankle ROM improved so did my depth over time...if this helps....

Nick Roy
Cole Dano said:

Sorry to confuse you, the iM's are the knee series.

The point being they are knee prehab.

Curious, is the knee series just the iM of F1-F2 or all the way through F4?

Cole Dano

F1-F2