stall bar/swedish bar flexibility work

Started by Robbie Main, August 10, 2009 · 4 Replies · 4,702 Views

Robbie Main

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any comments/info regarding flexibility work using the stall bar/swedish bars - Coach suggested that regular bend and reach was not the best way around

Coach Sommer said:
Sat May 03, 2008 4:09 am http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2121#p2121

- A static pike stretch is not the most efficient way to build pike position flexibility (I far prefer windmills, weighted pikes or stall bar/swedish bar work), but there are several modifications which can be added to increase its efficacy.

I am wanting to specifically work on pike, pancake and split stretches. I've seen a few videos on but I can't quite work out how to get into the stretch. Can anybody offer any help?

Many thanks

Leo

Ido Portal

Here is some basic work on the swedish bars, at the end there is some pike and pancake work:

JvNfQsaNouQ

There is a lot more things to do with a swedish bars. It is a staple in my training and my athlete's training.

Ido.

Robbie Main

Hey Ido

That was perfect - thanks for sharing that with me :) Is there a way to safely get into the straddle stretch without assisance?

Leo

Ido Portal

Sure, Leo.

Put one leg on a low bar. Grab with the hands between your legs, while one leg is still on the ground.

Hop with the other leg up on the bar, use the hands to hold yourself in the position.

Lower down into the stretch.

I am sure you would have figured it out by yourself with some experimenting.

Ido.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

those stretching variations look fantastic. I will definitely give them a go tomorrow when I have access.

One question, is it better to do hanging leg lifts on the top bar or one of the lower bars?

I would have thought that the top bar closes off the shoulders and allows more pulling assistance.