This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulders flexion & extension slow progress + questions

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, March 24, 2015 · 4 Replies · 264 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!
I noticed my shoulder mobility progressess are very very slow. I started H1 almost 5 months ago, and I've been still struggling on HS/PE1>iM.
Just to give an idea, this is hiw I performed this element in the beginning and currently. ( See the attached below)

Form has improved, but I have still difficulty to reach mastery.
I tried Also to perform HS/PE2>iM. Here's a pic posted few days ago. In this case I need to fix my form, at least I guess so.
post-10847-142720855201_thumb.jpg

I know I definitely need to build both flexion and extension shoulder mobility.

Now, Firstly I would like to clarify if flexion and extension are correlated with each other. I mean, do improves on flexion have some carryover to extension mobility and vice versa?

Besides, I know that I must take patience, but could some additional exercises accelerate improves? Of course I do not want to add exercises I'm not ready to do (like German hang).
I bought thoracic bridge stretch course, and there are some exercises that definitely could help me to build shoulder extensions.

Could This exercise improve shoulder flexion? post-10847-142720970163_thumb.png

In the public forum coach sommer posted these two exercises:
shoulder dislocates.
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1358-shoulder-dislocates/
And wall extensions
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/846-wall-extensions/
Coach suggest to perform them at least twice a week.
Could be a good idea to add the exercises I mentioned, (as warm up or at the end of workout), in order to see faster improves? That would be very useful, in order to not get discouraged!
Thank you!

post-10847-0-41589900-1427210127_thumb.j

Joshua Slocum

Flexion and extension are almost completely unrelated. Pec mobility can be a common limiting factor, but almost everything else is different. So unless you have super-tight pecs there won't be much carryover between the two. 

 

Your best bet to speed up progress is adding in static stretching. The thoracic bridge series should help with improving shoulder extension and flexion. I don't think wall extensions or dislocates will help much. There are two components to mobility: having sufficient passive flexibility, and developing sufficient active ROM in the agonist muscles. You're already taking care of the second part with the mobility exercises, and the stretching will help make sure the first part is not a limiting factor.

 

If you think you're recovering well, you could play around with increasing the weekly volume. I.e. add one more shoulder flexion/extension work day a week. 

Awesssss

for the extension, do a stretch that resembles the shoulder extension drills but in a static stretch. that should loosen up your pecs and biceps.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Joshua Slocum said:

Flexion and extension are almost completely unrelated. Pec mobility can be a common limiting factor, but almost everything else is different. So unless you have super-tight pecs there won't be much carryover between the two.

Your best bet to speed up progress is adding in static stretching. The thoracic bridge series should help with improving shoulder extension and flexion. I don't think wall extensions or dislocates will help much. There are two components to mobility: having sufficient passive flexibility, and developing sufficient active ROM in the agonist muscles. You're already taking care of the second part with the mobility exercises, and the stretching will help make sure the first part is not a limiting factor.

If you think you're recovering well, you could play around with increasing the weekly volume. I.e. add one more shoulder flexion/extension work day a week.

So to learn thoracic bridge helps to develop both shoulder flexion and extension! Good to know that, so I did well to buy stretch courses!!
Joshua Slocum
mauler said:

So to learn thoracic bridge helps to develop both shoulder flexion and extension! Good to know that, so I did well to buy stretch courses!!

Well a thoracic bridge doesn't help directly with shoulder extension [it does help with flexion]. But the GB Thoracic bridge course includes good shoulder extension stretches.