L-sit chinups question

Started by tcorgat, March 23, 2015 · 10 Replies · 4,267 Views

tcorgat

I did a couple of these today and I noticed some discomfort at the beginning of the movement, from the dead hang to bending the arms. The rest of the movement from like 150 degrees bent arms until the very top, chin to chest, I have no problems with, at all. The discomfort I'm talking about is in the shoulders, It's somewhat weird initiating the movement from the dead hang the shoulders rotate a bit in order to begin the movement. It's kind of like doing the shoulder dislocates exercise. I felt that if it wasn't for that discomfort I could do maybe three times more l-sit chinup than I did. I'm already proficient with the regular chinups and pullups. Any pointers? Is it something I'm doing wrong, or is this normal?

Joshua Slocum

I don't know if it's normal, but here's my usual approach when I get to a new exercise and encounter discomfort: start at a low volume and increase slowly. I know I'm at an appropriate volume if I feel fully recovered by the next time I get to that exercise, and the overall discomfort I feel from the exercise goes down over the weeks. 

ussjkenny

I had discomfort at the very bottom as well. Relaxed hangs from a chin up grip helped a lot. 

Jon Douglas
ussjkenny said:

I had discomfort at the very bottom as well. Relaxed hangs from a chin up grip helped a lot. 

I did this as well, with a close supinated grip.

MT Nordic

another tip that helped me was to start with a forceful scapular depression instead of trying to initiate the move with the arms.  That will also serve to seat your shoulders and put them in a more strong stable position.

Alessandro Mainente

this is typical when the internal rotation is far more strong and the muscles providing it are too tight. if depressor and rotator cuff are not enough strong  a little impingement could occur. basically is similar to hanging leg lift when you feel discomfort behind the shoulders. forcing the range of motion when muscles are squeezed is less useful and more dangerous.

DieKatze
MT Nordic said:

another tip that helped me was to start with a forceful scapular depression instead of trying to initiate the move with the arms.  That will also serve to seat your shoulders and put them in a more strong stable position.

exactly

tcorgat

So I did those again today and the discomfort was nearly gone. I could still feel some, but not nearly close to what I felt the last time. So I guess it takes time to get familiar with the movement. Awesome exercise btw. Love it.

Jon Douglas
tcorgat said:

So I did those again today and the discomfort was nearly gone. I could still feel some, but not nearly close to what I felt the last time. So I guess it takes time to get familiar with the movement. Awesome exercise btw. Love it.

Good to hear :)

Awesssss

Do scapular shrugs whilst in an l-hang position. This will strengthen your initial pull up movement.

RyanC

I start from the top and lower to the bottom. Then i start my set. It helps me with the mind muscle connection and gets me ready for the movement. Here's a glimpse into the future. It gets WAY harder than an L pullup lol. Take your time and lets get to F4!