This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder subluxation during Bridge Pushup

Started by Jacob Morsbøl, March 23, 2015 · 10 Replies · 292 Views

Jacob Morsbøl

Unfortunately I had a subluxation in my left shoulder today during the bridge pushup set. I've had subluxations before in the same shoulder however it's about a year ago since my last one.

 

Beside consulting a therapist, what should I do? Drop the TB part of the stretch series? Skip the dynamic bridge work?

Coach Sommer

Get stronger.  Where are you in your foundation training?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jacob Morsbøl

Thanks for your answer. I've already become much stronger than just half a year ago. However I will do mine to become even stronger. My current progress is:


 


FL/PE5


sPL/PE5


SL/PE5


MN/PE2


SLS/PE4


HBP/PE4


RC/PE4


Coach Sommer

It would appear that pressing strength currently being at HBP/PE4 is the culprit.  

 

Do not go further than the straight arm bridge elements until your pressing strength improves and that shoulder has a chance to stabilize more.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jacob Morsbøl

Thanks for your advice.

Erin

I also have problems with shoulder subluxation and have been a bit scared to try the thoracic bridge part of the stretch series. Unfortunately I have some problems with my weight and have had to take a break from foundation work until I can get down to a more appropriate weight for bodyweight conditioning, but I have been doing strength training with weights (squats, dealifts, bench press, rows, etc) as well as cardio. Even though I'm not doing foundation I wanted to start stretch because I know traditional resistance training can make you tight as all get out.

Should I hold off on the thoracic bridge course until I am able to build up an acceptable level of gymnastic strength (as in foundation work)?

Coach Sommer

No need to hold off on the entire course; just do not do the more advanced exercises at the end of the series until you are ready.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum

Maybe it would be a good idea for some of the more advanced stretching exercises to have prerequisites listed in the course? E.g. "for the thoracic bridge pushup, you should have advanced to at least HBP/PE*. If not, simply do another thoracic bridge for time."

Krel

Are 10r Wall HeSPU a prerequisite for 10r Bridge Pushups ? :)

What about 10r HS Wall Run as a prerequisite for 10r Elevated Thoracic Bridge Hip Tap ?

Coach Sommer

I am not inclined to set official pre-reqs for the bridge work.  They are not all that hard.  

 

You guys just need to up your game.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Erin

Thanks Coach!