Healthy Snacks

Started by Sensei JP, March 23, 2015 · 10 Replies · 5,004 Views

Sensei JP

When it comes to nutrition, I have a weakness for snacks.  My problem isn't the taste, it's the convenience.  When I'm hungry before bed, it's far easier to grab a pack of cookies than, say, make a fruit salad.  It's just too easy.

 

My birthday is this Friday; my 'new year resolution' is to eat healthy all the time.  This means I need to discover some quick and easy snacks that are healthy.  Fruit (in moderation) is an obvious answer, as are nuts and trailmix.  What else is there?  Does anyone have any favourite or homemade snacks they'd like to share?  Thanks!

Micawberian

Well, If you're looking for convenience, it can't get easier than canned fish (Sardines, herring, tuna etc.) Brands like Crown Prince and Season are respectful companies who sell quality canned fish. It's a good healthy snack!

But, I suspect if you are eating before bed, you don't want to deal any smell. I think you have hit the nail on the head with nuts, trail mix, and fruits, which is exactly what I use as snacks. I think hummus (you can get it prepackaged) and something to dip into (pita, bread, veggies) is a filling snack. Cottage cheese with fruit is a excellent choice. Perhaps also greek yogurt with fruit. Jerky and dried fruits is also nice and especially convenient.

And, not really a snack but when I'm really hungry and have zero time, a big glass of whole milk can really keep the hunger at bay. (but Idk your diet situation, if you are one of those paleo guys or not :P )

LateStarter@46

If you're ok with milk I would suggest a cocoa hot chocolate (full fat milk with bournville cocoa powder i.e. not the processed sugar-laden ready-made ones) or a bowl of porridge - very easily and quickly made.

Kasper Stangerup

I find that many kinds of vegetable can be cut into bite-sized pieces and works great as a snack while watching TV or similar situations.

Blairbob

Yeah late night snacks I prefer jerky, meat, or cheese if I'm trying to be health conscious. I prefer the meat to the cheese as casein can be a bit insulinogenic. That and I would rather eat some meat to digest while I sleep than casein.

Sometimes I also like oats or nuts though you have to be careful about the caloric content of nuts. Oats not so much I think.

Occasionally I'll make an english muffin with butter or toasted cinnamon raisin bread with butter. This is more of a treat and easier to whip up than french toast used to be.

 


 

TANSTAAFL

Holy crap. Blairbob comes out for a hit and run snack post, quickly returning to his state of ubiquitous ethereal observation.

 

Also, jerky and pemmican rule the school. 

MT Nordic

I'm a big fan of yogurt (Plain) with a little granola and almonds sprinkled on top.  If available, top with fresh raspberries...wow :)

 

granola bar smeared with almond butter

 

cottage cheese

 

apple with almond butter

 

jerky

 

hummus w/ pita bread

 

avocado and salsa and cheese rolled up in a whole grain tortilla

 

or...just drink 2 big glasses of water and fill yourself up without calories, depending on your caloric needs and wt loss goals...

Primate

Air popped popcorn.  So long as you don't slather it in salt and butter, plain air popped popcorn is a tasty satisfying source of complex carbohydrates.  I used to snack on it during late night study sessions as it would satisfy my snack craving without making me feel sick!  Only about 30 calories per cup too.  You can pick up an air popper for <$20 or you can do as a mate of mine does and blow a hairdryer into a pot!

Sensei JP

Thanks for so many suggestions, guys.  I've gotten off to a great start giving up the junk food (except for Easter; I'm not going to refuse free chocolate :D)

 

For anyone trying to eat healthy, here's a tip that has really helped: pack a 'lunch' everyday of health stuff.  Whether you think you need it or not, spend the five minutes it takes to pack trailmix, set up veggies and dip, make a fruit salad, etc.  Having it ready eliminates an excuse when you feel tired and keeps you focused.  Said another way, failing to prepare such a box is akin to preparing to fail.

Romulo

If you crave something sweet you may do a quick protein mug cake: pour some protein powder in the mug (whey or casein), and an egg, mix it well and microwave it for a minute or so. If you add a smashed banana(or any other creamy stuff like sweet potato, pumpkin, nut butter, avocado) and/or some healthy flour(like almond or coconut flour- a table spoon will do it) it helps with the texture and it gets less rubberlike. To improve the flavor you can add some vanilla extract or extra sweetener.

Sean Hunter

IMO, it's more about just creating a lifestyle around eating a certain way. For example, vegetarians don't think or have conflict about meat when they go out to dinner. They just don't eat meat. There is no thinking involved. You can do the same thing with anything when it becomes a part of your lifestyle.