This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE1>IM Swivel Hips

Started by Janos Locsei, March 22, 2015 · 3 Replies · 102 Views

Janos Locsei

Hi everyone,

 

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my form for swivel hips. I've been working on it for a couple of months now. I still feel like it's not quite possible for me to keep both glutes on the ground. One glute lifts up slightly (the glute of the hip that is experiencing internatl rotation). I'm wondering if this is OK. Even in the course video demonstration you can see the guy's glute coming off the ground slightly. 

 

 

Any feedback much appreciated!

 

Tobias

Kasper Stangerup

Relative to the video, I would say that you should stop wiggling your feet. On a personal note, I would say that this is an excercise that is very valuable in martial arts, and one that I have put my students through on a regular basis. My advice in that context would be to work on getting your knee to align with the opposite heel, and to work on sitting up more. Most people should be able to get to a point where they can do the excercise without supporting themselves on the arms.

This would be something to work on after mastering the PE-iM and moving on. It can be used as a warm-up or general limbering excercise before the workout.

Jon Douglas

As above. ROM looks good, but the feet moving is a bad habit-- basically you are setting yourself in a slightly different position on each side, and by doing so limiting the rotation. Not a lot, but it's there. Keep those heels on the ground :)

Janos Locsei

Thanks Jon, Kasper, that's useful feedback. I'll work on keeping my heels on the ground, plus sitting up more. 

 

Kasper, can you explain more about what you meant by "work on getting your knee to align with the opposite heel"? Do you mean that my knee should end up right next to my heel at the bottom of the ROM?