This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FKP PE1 As Stretching

Started by Benjn, March 19, 2015 · 4 Replies · 164 Views

Benjn

If GST has taught me anything, it's that my current level of mobility sucks.

 

On FKP/PE1, I can't get my hands to a good 90* angle. I get probably around 50-60* and then get stuck. I'm taking this movement very slow to develop proper mobility. Right now I'm just doing 5 sets of 1 rep, because I figure it doesn't make sense to add reps until I have proper ROM. I'm treating these reps as mobility/stretch work rather than strength work. When my hands are extended to the limit of my flexibility (point of mild discomfort, not agony), I hold the position for 10-15 seconds before going through the eccentric of the movement. 

 

So far, this has been working out for me. But I've only been doing this program for about two weeks now. I'm curious if anyone else has had experience improving ROM on this movement, if y'all think this sounds like a reasonable protocol, and what other suggestions you might have.

 

Happy training!

Mark Schoenhard

Treat these PÉ's as you treat all PE's.  When you get to week 11 and have not mastered the strength or range of motion, deload week 12 and then back up to week 9 and repeat.  Staying at 5x1 will not allow your body or hands in this case to adapt as quickly.  Trust the mastery protocols and always progress.

Awesssss

I had tons of rom improvement in that one. I could barely lift anything up, now i have a 90 degree. My recomendation is to skip the reps and just everyday stretch it gently

it will come with time.

Benjn
Mark Schoenhard said:

Treat these PÉ's as you treat all PE's. When you get to week 11 and have not mastered the strength or range of motion, deload week 12 and then back up to week 9 and repeat. Staying at 5x1 will not allow your body or hands in this case to adapt as quickly. Trust the mastery protocols and always progress.

Good call. I'm doing this now and seeing how it goes.

Hollow Man, out of curiously, how did you structure your stretching?

Alessandro Mainente

Remember to focus to achieve the 90° actively. Is something concerned with all the preparatory elements of the wrists. everyone should be able to complete them with momentum and by shoulders movement., but complete them actively only with wrist strength is simply another world. you will find that scale down a couple of progressions is necessary to complete it actively.