This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche lean as supplement work for straddle planche routine after mastery sPL/PE5

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, March 19, 2015 · 5 Replies · 193 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

By reading this post by Alexander:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19748-spl-pe-5-planche-lean/?p=181509

He wrote:

"The planche lean should be a part of your routine until you literally can lean in and lift your feet off the ground into a slightly piked full planche. After the mastery requirements there is still more lean to be gained. But it turns into skill work, so put your focus into other sPL PEs for building strength."

 

Does that mean, once I mastered sPL/PE5, that should I continue to work on planche lean trying to lean more an more forward? Should I work firstly on the current PE (let's say PE6, for example) and then put planche lean as supplementary work? I wonder if this plan could be too stressful!

Besides, once I start to lean a bit more forward than in front of the hips (which is the level for mastery for PE5), how many sets * secs should I hold the position before I move even more forward? could 5 sets * 30 sec be too stressful, after the previous work on the current sPL/PE?

I would to clarify this stuff! thank you!

 

 

 

Murray Truelove

Yes, you should be doing up to 3 sets of previously mastered elements before your current element. This could be 3 sets of planche leans or 1 set of scapula shrugs, 2 planche leans, etc.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Murray Truelove said:

Yes, you should be doing up to 3 sets of previously mastered elements before your current element. This could be 3 sets of planche leans or 1 set of scapula shrugs, 2 planche leans, etc.

I didn't mean to continue to practice planche lean as warm up. I could do that, of course, as you said, but My intention was to focus on improving my skill work on planche lean, focusing on leaning more and more forward. Yet I suppose that this kind of work could be too stressful before working on the current element.

Could I add this skill work at the end of workout, for example, or after several minutes of current sPL routine? Basing that the current element should be the main part of my planche routine, could be useful add this supplementary work , as Alexander suggested? At least, that's what I got from his post! [emoji4]

Murray Truelove

Foundation as written says they should go in your warmup, I think if you added planche leans as a supplement the overall volume of elbow work might be too high but you could experiment with them in your schedule and see how you respond.

Krel
mauler said:

I didn't mean to continue to practice planche lean as warm up. I could do that, of course, as you said, but My intention was to focus on improving my skill work on planche lean, focusing on leaning more and more forward. [emoji4]

My personal recommendation would be just stick to the program ;) The general rule is that once you master an exercise, move on and just keep it in your warm-up.

Trying to improve sPL/PE5 while working on an other sPL exercise will just be counter productive, it will slow down your progress.

Some exercices (Jefferson Curl for instance) should be improved post-mastery as a secondary goal, but this is not the case for sPL/PE5.

Alexander Egebak

I would like to emphasize the importance of keeping the planche lean in your work out, whether that is in your warm up or however you might see fit.

 

It is true that you cannot do both sPL SEs and planche leans in your main workout. You have to choose, and if you want to follow foundation by the word you focus on THAT programming.

 

I do disagree that keeping 1-2 sets of planche lean in your warm up would be too stressful. Because of the fact that increased lean only slowly can be gained you will only lean to your current level in the SEs if you maintain perfect form in the planche. Keeping planche leans in your warm up means only SLOWLY going for more lean since the strength required to lean further increases proportionately. Doing an SSC cycle with only the load and underload phase would be beneficial in maintaining the function of the planche lean to a warm up element. Lean progress should come after strength progress in the SEs.