Hi all,
I've got pain in my upper back on the left side between the spine and the sholder blade about 1/4 or 2/5 of the way down the back. I think it's the rhomboideus major muscle.
![]()
I get pain when I move my sholder back (abduct), eg bringing the sholder blades together, and when I bend my back at this point. I think there might be three causes:
(i) General bad posture - for a long time I had very bad posture and now have to very consciously bend at the hips to stop myself bending over around this point (not just rounding the back, I have sort of an axis of rotation in the spine
(ii) Single leg squats - due (I think) to the above problem and concentrating on numbers not form I started getting pain on the last few reps of the lasst set and I know that I bend over at the upper back.
(iii) One arm pushups - tried too hard with very bad form and think this, in conbination with (ii) is what has given me the injury recently.
I'm really annoyed because I got the book and rings last week and have just finished my first week but the pain in worrying me. I can do all the statics and most FBEs as long as I'm really careful about only bending at the hips but XR pushups give me pain when my sholders switch from level to retracted, pullups give me troubles too (although moving my arm vertically gives me no pain) and I can't do pistols without pain.
Has anyone experienced this and/or can anyone give me some advice? Does it sound like rhomboideus major? Should I do Ido's sholder ROM and scapula routines or could this make it worse? One good side effect that I know when I am bending badly and now need to practice good form even picking something up off the floor. I would really appreciate some advice.