This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ring dips - completely unprepared!

Started by DonGray, March 18, 2015 · 12 Replies · 610 Views

DonGray

Hi guys

I attempted some ring dips for the 1st time last night and was completely unaware of the amount of stabilisation that was required for this variation.

My dips are strong on fixed bars and also single bar dips...but even when going into the starting position of ring support, I was very humbled to realise how much stabilisation was required.

 

My question is - if I'm not yet ready for this exercise, would it be worthwhile working on ring support, building up to 1min static hold 1st?

 

 

Mark Collins

If you cannot hold ring support then I would add it in to your program. A one minute hold would be enough for ring dips as you don't hold the top position for that long.

DieKatze

i think a solid 1min support is much more difficult than a set of ring dips. for me the body adapted quite fast. start with the rings tucked in close to your body and try moving away from that in a few weeks. turning rings out at the top is also pretty beneficial. the hradest part with ring dips for me was initially locking out the elbows, so do not neglect that part of the dip.

Joshua Slocum

A one minute rings support would be overkill. If your arms are shaking in rings support, but you can still do a dip or two, that's fine. I your arms are shaking so violently that you can not do a single dip, then it may be worth working short ring supports (e.g. ~10s) until the vibration becomes managable.

Bipocni

Try doing ring pushups first to get used to the instability.

Alessandro Mainente

Consider the idea idea to approach the support gradually , maybe with all the arms closed to the body and feet and the floor. I would not at too much external rotation if you are not training somewhere on RC foundations 3.

William

hey, you just did you first ring session(ever?), than you should wait for second/third session before give it a note.

Means every one is shaking hardly on rings first times, nothing to worry about...normally your neuromuscular part will adapt very very quick and shaking will nearly stop :)

i suppose the brain and everything has just to learn to work against the shaking, it s no real strength thing actually

 

just go on

Awesssss

When I saw the ring dips I was shocked. How is this even programmed here? I don't have The Ring Series, but Considering how foundation one is layed out, I'm pretty sure ring support is a PE in Rings series. So why are the ring dips here?

Mark Collins
Hollow Man said:

When I saw the ring dips I was shocked. How is this even programmed here? I don't have The Ring Series, but Considering how foundation one is layed out, I'm pretty sure ring support is a PE in Rings series. So why are the ring dips here?

Ring dips are not as difficult after doing the previous exercises in HBP. On the seminar I did 10 reps and I had only just finished PPP. They do introduce the shoulders to pressing whilst stabilising. This helps the rotator cuff and scapula stabilisers develop which will help with HSPU and HBP.

Coach Sommer

They are just ring dips, guys. Good lord, chill out. You are acting like I just asked you to pilot the space shuttle.

As Mark already mentioned, if you have mastered the previous exercises you are prepared for these and will be fine. Now on the other hand, if you have cut corners - then you get what you get.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

William

Coach, good comparison :D

Ring dips are really not that hard, it s not even with rings turned out, right?

Awesssss

Would TRX work as a substitute? PRobably not...

 

How about for Bulgarians rows and bulgarian pull ups?

Bipocni
Hollow Man said:

Would TRX work as a substitute? PRobably not...

How about for Bulgarians rows and bulgarian pull ups?

TRX is inferior due to the single anchor point as opposed to the dual anchor point for rings. I personally have never touched one but I can imagine it would make anything done in support quite difficult and/or annoying.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for rows and pullups, but it's definitely not preferable. Your arms need to learn to fend for themselves.