This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Exercises to prepare for HS/PE1

Started by orangutan, March 18, 2015 · 5 Replies · 171 Views

orangutan

Hi all, 

 

I am having trouble with HS/PE1 because the top of my head, tops of my shoulders and insides of my wrists hurt afterward. I'm 24 and I've never had any injuries to any of these places, just out of practice :facepalm:

 

I started F1 a month ago and it is going well :) , and will of course continue the wrist exercises.

 

Can a coach here recommend something (perhaps easier exercises) to prepare me for PE1 work? 

 

Thank you!

 

Mrs. Orangutan

sashok

Can you make a video?

john_c

I found when I started my neck got a bit sore so I warmed up during the wrist exercises by putting my head and hands into the tripod position with my feet on the floor and leaning forward just putting some weight on my head for about 5-10 secs. That helped avoid the neck aches. The wrist stretches and exercises will help but it may take a little while before you feel the benefit.

Joshua Slocum

How long are you holding PE1 for? You might simply need to decrease the volume. 

 

Alternatively, you could try making the exercise easier by leaving your feet on the floor. Work up to 5x60s of that and then try holding the full version and see if your head/wrists can take the load better. 

orangutan

Thanks for the quick replies!

 

I'll try and post a video this evening.

 

tfeal, strangely it doesn't seem to be my neck that hurts when I try this, just the top of my head (where all the pressure is placed), along with shoulders and wrists. Are you saying you would warm up like that simultaneously with the wrist exercises? I.e. stretching your wrists with your head on the ground?

 

Joshua - I have trouble holding it for more than a couple seconds at a time, and more than 5-10 sec total (with mobility in between), so I don't think it's a volume issue. I will try your suggestion. I imagine the issue is that my wrists/shoulders aren't used to holding me up, and my head isn't used to the pressure (which is probably more than it should be if my arms aren't pulling their weight).

john_c

I would do it separately in between the sets just to warm up my neck. I guess you could try it from a kneeling position just to start feeling and getting used to the pressure.