Recommended audio books

Started by Vincearoo, March 17, 2015 · 8 Replies · 2,528 Views

Vincearoo

Anyone have favorite audio books that they'd recommend? Post them here.

Thanks in advance!

spinelli

The BBC versions of solaris and gormenghast are well worth a listen. Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, old harry's game, good omens also by the BBC are all great

 

Any adaptation of Terry pratchett's work

Wolf with one Ear

I found an interesting History of the Shaolin Temple on iTunes

Vincearoo

Thanks for those recommendations, I'll keep them in mind. I was hoping for any fitness related audio books/podcasts?

Wolf with one Ear

Actually, there is a section in the Shaolin book about the calisthenic aspect of some of the Shaolin forms, which the author refers to as gymnastic qualities.  Unfortunately, he was not using the word gymnastic in the sense we use it, but more the breathing, movement, not specifically related to fighting parts of the forms.  Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but interesting for geeks like me.  

 

A point in the book relative to our studies here is the past interest in developing the sinews, or the connective tissue, as compared to developing the muscles.  This seemed to be of great importance to some practitioners.  There appears some parallel to the  purposes of much of the training advised here, which emphasizes developing the tendons and other connective tissue, so that they may ultimately function and withstand the more demanding moves or holds.  Some of the ancient approaches were, well, creative, or at least colorful, as seen through the lens of time and distance.  

Bipocni
Wolf with one Ear said:

Some of the ancient approaches were, well, creative, or at least colorful, as seen through the lens of time and distance.

Care to share some of the more salient examples?

Vincearoo

That was enough of an introduction for me to listen to it. Thank you :)

Chris Garay

Hi Vincearoo,

 

I greatly enjoyed listening to Josh Waitzkin read his stellar book "The Art of Learning." From chess prodigy to Tai Chi Push Hands World Champion to Brazilijan Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Josh is an incredible study on human performance.

 

Cheers,

Chris

Vincearoo
Chris Garay said:

Hi Vincearoo,

I greatly enjoyed listening to Josh Waitzkin read his stellar book "The Art of Learning." From chess prodigy to Tai Chi Push Hands World Champion to Brazilijan Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Josh is an incredible study on human performance.

Cheers,

Chris

I've actually read that before. I used to be a competitive chess player so he's definitely not foreign to me. Maybe I should give that another listen, I haven't read it in years. Thanks for the recommendation