This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

exercises for developing explosive leg strength?

Started by athleticandrey, March 17, 2015 · 17 Replies · 681 Views

athleticandrey

Hello guys, I wonder what explosive movements for legs can I train alongside F1? Perhaps it might be a good idea to train jumping deck squats as I have already reached the mastery standard in F1 for the regular deck squats. If I decide to incorporate them into my training routine what rep scheme should I use for them and what mastery standard should I aim for? and how often should I train them? I know that movement series will probably address that aspect but I want to do some explosive movements until it comes out.

I've been consistently working on F1+H1 but I just feel that something is missing from my routine. I recently added  cardio to my program (3 km runs twice a week)  but still feel that it's not complete.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Micawberian

Well, I'm sure M1 will have a lot of good stuff in it. Until then, the movement sub-forum has some good ideas...check out the senders article where coach sommer lists a variety of dynamic leg exercises starting from standing jumps to more. Also, BTGB has a lot of info

john_c

How about doing some sprinting at the end of your run ie 8 x 60m.

athleticandrey
Joshua Slocum said:

In that article coach recommended to begin the development of dynamic leg strength by engaging in the simple act of jumping upward ( 1) Jumping upward - Far too many people fail to realize that the simple act of vigorously jumping upward is quite beneficial for the initial development of dynamic leg strength. Options include standing jumps, squat jumps or rolling jumps.)

How many reps and sets of those jumps should I do?

Alexander Egebak

I do not think that you can have an official answer by now.

 

Generally, with explosive movement it is high rep or very low rep, always quality reps.

Sean Hunter

Jump Rope

Ankle Bounces

Slalom Jumps

Ricochet Jumps

4-Star Drill

Rhythmic Jump Squats

 

All Low-Intensity Plyos, should fit in well with F1 if explosive leg strength is your goal.

MT Nordic

If you're just in F1 I would suggest focus on jump rope, hill sprints, and maybe some squat jumps.  I would avoid plyometrics to a large degree until your leg strength is improved.  Build the strength and supporting tissues, and the alignment that comes with that, and then once you're doing SE9 time to add in the more aggressive power moves.  I'd be worried about ricochet jumps, and box jumps, etc until you are stronger and have more compliant soft tissues.

jaz

Try 3x 20r squat jumps focusing on jumping higher on each rep

Cory Fair
athleticandrey said:

Hello guys, I wonder what explosive movements for legs can I train alongside F1? Perhaps it might be a good idea to train jumping deck squats as I have already reached the mastery standard in F1 for the regular deck squats. If I decide to incorporate them into my training routine what rep scheme should I use for them and what mastery standard should I aim for? and how often should I train them? I know that movement series will probably address that aspect but I want to do some explosive movements until it comes out.

I've been consistently working on F1+H1 but I just feel that something is missing from my routine. I recently added  cardio to my program (3 km runs twice a week)  but still feel that it's not complete.

Thank you in advance for any input.

 

Explosive leg strength should not be a priority at the F1/H1 level. Far more important is to develop your strength, overall mobility, pike, pancake, bridge and address any other adult life deficiencies. Warm up with jumping rope and play around at times with deck squat variations but don't set yourself up for a future injury by being impatience and training priorities in the wrong order.

Alessandro Mainente

Basically nothing, i have on my legs the signs of a premature approach of plyom work , i do not suggest it before a solid basic legs strength .

Alexander Egebak
Cory Fair said:

Explosive leg strength should not be a priority at the F1/H1 level. Far more important is to develop your strength, overall mobility, pike, pancake, bridge and address any other adult life deficiencies. Warm up with jumping rope and play around at times with deck squat variations but don't set yourself up for a future injury by being impatience and training priorities in the wrong order.

Just interested.

 

Does this mean that sports requiring you to jump should, in your opinion, not be practiced without a solid strength base? Does plyo sports practice separate from plyo strength training?

Coach Sommer
Alexander Egebak said:

Just interested.

 

Does this mean that sports requiring you to jump should, in your opinion, not be practiced without a solid strength base? Does plyo sports practice separate from plyo strength training?

 

As adults?  Absolutely.  Unless you enjoy being injured.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

If foundation level leg workouts are a genuine workout for you, address that before making it explosive :) the F series demands are not excessive.

aiken54

Can senders be done once SLS is mastered, or should all of the FLS series be mastered before any dynamic work is approached? I'm on SLS/SE7. Must I wait until I am done with SE9, or is this okay to begin work on now?

Nacho training

Zatsiorsky says that you should be able to squat 2xbodyweight and one leg squat before training plyometrics seriously. 2xbodyweight is exagerated. But yes, you should train strength before training plyometric seriously. In my opinion I don't think that you can't ever do plyometrics. You can play a little bit with jumps, but that training should not be your main focus by now, like people have say. In addition, if you have a very good technique, you could add fast concentrics to your strength training and this will help you to improve your jump capacity.

Sean Hunter

I am doubting any of coaches young athletes had a double bodyweight back squat before beginning plyos hahah

Nacho training

Obviously. I think like you. Is just an example about the importance of strength training before plyometric training for some authors, like Zatsiorsky. For young athletes is different.