This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine PPT drills with straight legs

Started by Awesssss, March 17, 2015 · 14 Replies · 306 Views

Awesssss

Now in this drill I can flatten my lower back on the ground, but as I squeeze my glutes my lower back comes of the floor a little bit. I'm still engaged in PPT but I just can't press it on the floor. It's anatomally impossible for me.

 

Is it thigh hip flexor? What are the boundaries here, really?

 

Can a woman with a big ass like this girl:

 

tumblr_mppj9cMqIE1ru423qo1_500.jpg

 

ever flatten her lower back on the floor with squeezed glutes and straight legs?

Awesssss

Anyone?

Murray Truelove

Maybe she might have trouble.

What helps me with these is to PPT with my knees bent and then shaky straighten them, if I start to lose form that's the position I work.

Awesssss

To It's not a strength issue. If I follow your trick, then once my legs come close to straight, I lose contact with floor but it doesn't seem to be a strength issue as mentioned earlier. Perhaps it is tight hip flexors and quads, but to me it feel impossible to be able to squeeze glutes with straight legs and still have the lower back in contact with the floor.

 

Is there anyone there who can do this?

Murray Truelove

Do you have a good PPT at the moment?

You can try adding a hip flexor stretch in between sets and see if this let's you get closer to the correct position. If it does help then you'll know it's a hip flexor issue.

Awesssss

I would say that I have come very far with my PPT. Before H1 drills (and my hollow planks/hollow body training) I could not get into a hollow position in hanging no matter what I did (because doing hollow body pull ups was something I wanted to do), now a days im tighter than.. well what's the tightest thing on earth? Anways, the point is that I can PPT even in my sleep.

 

I have just recently added hip flexor and quad streches to my 3x a week stretching plus foam rolling. Will update this thread and see. This is something I prioritize at the moment, hence the thread.

Micawberian

If you post at least a picture or video, we can work out the details. But right now with what you're saying it's impossible for us to tell how big your ass is or how good your PPT is. If your lower back is coming off the ground, first I must ask are you talking about PE4 or PE12>IM? Murray is hitting the nail on the head with probable cause hip flexors mobility. if you are talking about PE4, it could even be tight lats getting in the way of you being able to flex shoulders and simultaneous maintain correct body line.

Awesssss

I can post a picture later, maybe.I am talking about the im's. I am doing them because they help a lot in other areas of gst and not only handstands. For instance they taught me how to do the planks correctly.

 

Regarding the shoulder flexibility, I can place my hands comfortably above my head on the ground while in a ppt, it has become one of my stronger sides. Not too long ago I suffered from a frozen shoulder and later impingement. :)

 

I just tested doing PPT in a standing straddle position, in this position my glutes dissapear magically into my body. When I do the ppt in a standing "pike" position (legs together), my glutes stick out and can't come inside my body. I strongly suspect this is thighness? As I read somewhere that the straddle removes hip flexibilty?

 

I'm gonna focus a lot on bridge, front splits and jefferson curls, these three will hopefully help me.

Micawberian

I understand if you don't want to post a picture but without it, all I can say is unless you can truly look into your heart and believe you have a god-given all natural gigantic ass, then it's a mobility problem (welcome to the 99.9% of this forum ;) ).

Regarding your shoulder mobility: given the info on your PPT, I cannot be led to believe that you are performing supine overhead flexion as well as you think you are.

PPT gets easier as the legs open into straddle or tuck positions.

Awesssss

If you can flatten your lower back on the ground with relaxed glutes (and straight legs of course) but not with squeezed glutes, what does that say to you?

Micawberian

It says that you should very very very very very importantly understand the point of the mid-tier IM's is NOT to merely flatten the lower back on the ground by any means possible (I assume you just drawing the ribs in), but the point of the IM's are to train your PPT, which necessarily involves a literal rotation in the pelvis and activates the glute. This is key to HS alignment. It doesn't matter how pro you are at flattening your lower back against inanimate objects, without your understanding of PPT and your current habits your HS is doomed to look like a mutant love-child cross between an arch HS and straight HS.

Work diligently on your mobility and flexibility and search old posts in this sub-forum for people who have had similar problems with PPT. It'll click one day :)

Awesssss

Just trying to learn. :) It is hard without a real coach. I don't even know any gymnasts. Everyone is about bicep curls. :(

Micawberian

It would be worth your while to read all of the threads in this forum and the balance forum. It would take you a while but you will come away with a solid basic understanding of handstand. Good luck, keep us updated in a few months with PPT progress

Awesssss

Ok, so I have been stretching my Hip flexors and quads, this has helped as my lower back comes closer to the ground while in PPt (with squeezed glutes). I can even feel my hip flexors stretching while standing in a straddle and strongly PPT, squeeze my glutes and try to push my glutes inwards my body.

 

I suppose it was mobility issue.

 

The question is though, to accelerate my mobility should I remove all hip flexor work such as my manna work? It would feel heavy to do so...

Micawberian

Don't remove the hip flexor work, just keep working at it little by little. Big changes should occur in terms of months and years, not weeks.