This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow/forearm pain RC/PE6

Started by adimi24, March 16, 2015 · 11 Replies · 484 Views

adimi24

Hi, I am on week 6 of RC/PE6 - Bent Arm Chin Hang and my forearms always hurt after I finish a set. This spot to gets very tight, especially noticeable when I rotate my hands out. My friend claims that his friend had pain in this same spot and developed tendonitis. Is this something to worried about or does everyone experience this? Perhaps I am holding the position incorrectly?

The "spot" is a bit lower and to the right of where the thumb is in this picture

Golfers-Elbow.jpg?2c9c59

Pafke

post-12111-0-62579500-1426550671_thumb.p

I had the same thing half a year ago i get it from to much pullups and front lever pratice. Its called medial epicondylitis or simpler golfers elbow.

Rest few weeks from pulling exercises and then try this exercise again if you still feel pain then you need more rest. Dont train through any pain or discomfort.

However im not a specialist so i cant be 100% sure what is wrong with you forearm/elbow. Best thing to do would be to visit orthopaedist to see what exactly is wrong with your arm. :)

Kasper Stangerup

It sounds like typical golfers elbow. I'm not a specialist either, but have also struggled with this for a long time. Especially along with RC/PE6 like you. I took a few weeks off from training and switched to doing my RC on straps instead of on a bar which seemed to help, though didn't resolve the issue completely. I then tried the Thera Band Flexbar which has a specific excercise (apparently developed as part of a paper on epicondylitis) for golfers elbow. This seemed to help and, observing that the excercise was based on strengthening the epicondyles with excentric resistance training, I jumped to negative pull-ups (yes, before actually mastering PE6 - I believe it was the right thing to do) which also seem to have helped. 

Awesssss

I also hurted my right elbow once, the muscles around the area. After that I couldn't do any dips. I hurted them from doing elbow extensions from a push up position with no care. But fortunetaly it healed pretty fast, 1-2 week. Then I worked on Wrist push ups which strengthen my elbow muscles edxtremely well. Since that I can do elbow extensions with no problem. My point is that you should let it heal, then begin to strenghten it through exercises, slowly.

adimi24

I don't think this is golfer's elbow. I JUST started training again after months of inactivity, so I don't think taking time off would do anything.  Also, I didn't mention, but this happens in both of my forearms/elbows

Kasper Stangerup

Golfers elbow is apparently an irritation of the tendon in response to some stimulus. After months of inactivity, I would imagine that the tendon could easily get irritated by something as intense as RC/PE6.

Alexander Egebak
Kasper Stangerup said:

It sounds like typical golfers elbow. I'm not a specialist either, but have also struggled with this for a long time. Especially along with RC/PE6 like you. I took a few weeks off from training and switched to doing my RC on straps instead of on a bar which seemed to help, though didn't resolve the issue completely. I then tried the Thera Band Flexbar which has a specific excercise (apparently developed as part of a paper on epicondylitis) for golfers elbow. This seemed to help and, observing that the excercise was based on strengthening the epicondyles with excentric resistance training, I jumped to negative pull-ups (yes, before actually mastering PE6 - I believe it was the right thing to do) which also seem to have helped. 

I know plenty of people who also did high volume hammer curls and biceps curls instead of the hang for biceps prehab. They are fine too.

adimi24
Kasper Stangerup said:

Golfers elbow is apparently an irritation of the tendon in response to some stimulus. After months of inactivity, I would imagine that the tendon could easily get irritated by something as intense as RC/PE6.

 

From mayoclinic: "is caused by damage to the muscles and tendons that control your wrist and fingers. The damage is typically related to excess or repetitive stress — especially forceful wrist and finger motions"

 

I've only done 3 sessions on RC/PE6. Before said months of inactivity, I had done RC/PE6 probably about a year ago and had the same pain. I wonder if anyone has the same issue with this, perhaps a flexibility issue rather than golfers elbow?

JN12

Yes, the pain is something to be worried about. If you continue it will get worse and become eventually chronic and force you to take months of. If you get pain this means that the exercise is too advanced for you, whether you like it or not. 

 

Why did you jump straight to PE6 after months of inactivity? You should start with PE1 and the issue will resolve itself.

Cole Dano

That is classic medial epicondylitis aka Golfer's Elbow. You jumped back in way too intensely after that much time off.

 

As mentioned above, you have to gradually build the tendon strength, you can't just start in at the same place where you hurt it in the first place.

adimi24

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I have started Foundation from the beginning and I am now at RC/PE6 and am now on week 6 (started on week 5).  

Coach Sommer

Yes, but it appears that with your previous inactivity you would have been better served following the 30s mastery template first and then attempting the 60s mastery template.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer