Second week of the stretching program. I notice I can't put my heels together when working on the seiza. Is it normal for heels to flare out? I'm able to sit on my heels flared out but can only sit back about 3/4 of the way with my heels together. Thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Seiza- heels together
Started by Jeremy_18374, March 16, 2015 · 3 Replies · 275 Views
Yes
I think it is probably that you should strive to keep your ankles straight and not flared out, rather than actually touching. I have no problem sitting in this position (it's the resting position in my school of martial arts) but when my knees are completely closed, my thigh and calf muscles squeeze out towards the center line, so that it is physically impossible for me to make my heels and knees touch at the same time.
Kasper Stangerup said:I think it is probably that you should strive to keep your ankles straight and not flared out, rather than actually touching. I have no problem sitting in this position (it's the resting position in my school of martial arts) but when my knees are completely closed, my thigh and calf muscles squeeze out towards the center line, so that it is physically impossible for me to make my heels and knees touch at the same time.
There's another thread on this, heels should actually be touching.