This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche leans and thoracic kyphosis

Started by LateStarter@46, March 16, 2015 · 6 Replies · 176 Views

LateStarter@46

Is it an 'advantage' having thoracic kyphosis in the case of back-rounding exercises like planche leans?

 

Any thoughts?

Sven Ravnstag

I think the key is thoracic mobility. Being able to hollow the thoracics to the extent one does in planche work isn't just a matter of being hunched.

I've seen people with excessive kyphosis with very poor mobility in either direction (additional flexion or extension). In fact most people I've encountered with extreme posture either way tend to lack mobility.

thecolin

And tightness doesn't necessarily mean strength. In fact I think it generally means the opposite.

Edoardo Cagnola

I doubt that bad posture is ever going to be an advantage in any situation. Work on foam rolling your thoracic area, strengthening the upper back and rear delts and work your external rotators. Thoracic extension stretches might also be helpful. That's what worked for me, and now that my posture is better (still not perfect though) I feel much stronger, stable and mobile in all the movements that involve my shoulder gridle

LateStarter@46

Yes agree, tightness means brittle. Am doing heaps of exercises like EdStand suggested, all of which help to straighten up and reverse years of hunched posture in work and sport.

piotro

My understanding is that it is not about rounding upper spine - it is rounded already (at least if I look at mine ;) ).

It is about strong protraction of shoulder blades, when done fully scaps will shift and move revealing spine curve - hence rounded back (and no view of caps sticking out).

My take is strongly on this rather than working on extra rounding spine - I would rather try to avoid that.

LateStarter@46

Hi piotro, yes I don't feel that I need to round any more because I'm already there. So it feels like an advantage. Thanks for putting the point across better than I did :-)