This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Popping sounds in my shoulders

Started by sashok, March 16, 2015 · 15 Replies · 259 Views

sashok

Popping sounds in my shoulders even when I do nothing. Can I continue training or better to rest a few days?

Jacob Morsbøl

Does it hurt?

sashok
Jacob Morsbøl said:

Does it hurt?

No, it does not hurt when it occurs, but my right shoulder hurts from training

Keilani Gutierrez

and this is produced by what kind of movements while training? what progression are you on?

sashok

I think from weighted dislocates. Now I am on PE9 week 11

Keilani Gutierrez

thought so.

when I get a little too trigger happy on the dislocates, I learned the hard way to make increments in centimeters/ millimeters. you might want to take a little easier on them, to avoid upsetting the shoulder joint. learning this lesson is what kept my shoulders from progressing farther in 2014. mark your bar with tape at different measurements to keep you conscious of what you're doing as the session goes. getting them while you are warming up is fine (these are the clicks and pops) it's when you start narrowing the grip and get those thicker "snaps" that can do damage in the long run.

sashok
Keilani Gutierrez said:

thought so.

when I get a little too trigger happy on the dislocates, I learned the hard way to make increments in centimeters/ millimeters. you might want to take a little easier on them, to avoid upsetting the shoulder joint. learning this lesson is what kept my shoulders from progressing farther in 2014. mark your bar with tape at different measurements to keep you conscious of what you're doing as the session goes. getting them while you are warming up is fine (these are the clicks and pops) it's when you start narrowing the grip and get those thicker "snaps" that can do damage in the long run.

Thank you for the advice!

dritar

Also warm up a lot for dislocates. Make sure your shoulders and biceps are nicely warmed. Don't start at the narrowest you can go.

sashok
dritar said:

Also warm up a lot for dislocates. Make sure your shoulders and biceps are nicely warmed. Don't start at the narrowest you can go.

Ok, thanks

Bipocni

I spun out at the bottom of a ring dip once and got a relatively minor strain in my shoulder. From that point on, it's made a lot of cracking/grinding noises as I move it. Now it doesn't FEEL any worse than my other shoulder, but correlation implies causation.

The point being: if your shoulders are grinding, there's probably a small irritation somewhere in the joint.

sashok
Bipocni said:

The point being: if your shoulders are grinding, there's probably a small irritation somewhere in the joint.

It's not grinding. It is in the right shoulder, sometimes it clicks but does not hurt. This happens when I just do arm circles.

Bipocni
sashok said:

It's not grinding. It is in the right shoulder, sometimes it clicks but does not hurt. This happens when I just do arm circles.

Oh well that's fine then. Little pops or clicks are just part of the joint getting warmed up.

BrettCross

My right shoulder pops and clicks when I do dislocates as well. In my case I think it's the result of imbalances in my shoulder girdle. It's not necessarily a large concern itself, but it is telling me I have issues elsewhere. I've found that if I'm mindful of moving the dowel through the largest arc possible then the clicking disappears. I think I improve my back activation when I do this and it helps balance out the tightness in my chest/shoulders. Hope you get it sorted!

sashok
BrettCross said:

My right shoulder pops and clicks when I do dislocates as well. In my case I think it's the result of imbalances in my shoulder girdle. It's not necessarily a large concern itself, but it is telling me I have issues elsewhere. I've found that if I'm mindful of moving the dowel through the largest arc possible then the clicking disappears. I think I improve my back activation when I do this and it helps balance out the tightness in my chest/shoulders. Hope you get it sorted!

Thanks!

zlobr

sashok, you could try some trigger points release.. I would start with infraspinatus and subscapularis, you can google some release techniques using hard rubber ball.. 

sashok
zlobr said:

sashok, you could try some trigger points release.. I would start with infraspinatus and subscapularis, you can google some release techniques using hard rubber ball.. 

Very interesting, thank you!