How Much Daily Handstand Practice?

Started by Titan, March 15, 2015 · 23 Replies · 12,597 Views

Titan

I have a question that has been bothering me for quite some time . Of course more practice is better but I have limited time to practice each day. What is the optimal standard for practicing handstand? I usually do 10 sets but I only count those that were successful attempts. So it may take me 30/45 mins. to 1 hour. Should I focus more on the quality of those 10 sets or the quantity by adding more sets?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Awesssss

What do you mean with HS work? Free balanacing or wall handstand?

Titan

Thank you, Zach. Great advice. And yes that's exactly what I meant by HS work. Currently I have worked up to moving away from the wall. I still have trouble having a consistent "kick" to HS.

Edoardo Cagnola
Zach Armijo said:

As a good rule in general, you should at the very least work in a 10 minute block of time for handstands every day.

Does this apply to those of us that are following H1?

Sensei JP

Does that mean I can do handstand work even on my rest days?

Vincearoo

As long as you remember it's a rest day. Keep it light.

Bipocni
Vincearoo said:

As long as you remember it's a rest day. Keep it light.

And this is why I don't do skill work on rest days...

LateStarter@46
Sensei JP said:

Does that mean I can do handstand work even on my rest days?

This thread conversation is as bad as telling kids to go to bed at bedtime!  :P  :lol:

:ph34r:

Bipocni
LateStarter@46 said:

This thread conversation is as bad as telling kids to go to bed at bedtime! :P:lol:

:ph34r:

But can I do my handstand work at bedtime?

Titan
Bipocni said:

But can I do my handstand work at bedtime?

No you can't. That'll throw off your hormonal balance during sleep cycle.

Alexander Egebak

Actually, handstand work right before bed time will probably put you off sleep for at least an hour, depending on how intense it is

Micawberian

That awkward moment when people miss the joke

Awesssss

What if I'm on PE5 in handstand, for those who have H1 you understand. Should I do them for a block of 10 minutes everyday? Or does this "general rule" apply only to standing on your hands?

Titan
Micawberian said:

That awkward moment when people miss the joke

That awkard moment when it was the joke.

Edoardo Cagnola
Hollow Man said:

What if I'm on PE5 in handstand, for those who have H1 you understand. Should I do them for a block of 10 minutes everyday? Or does this "general rule" apply only to standing on your hands?

I'll hurt yourself pretty soon if you start doing PE5 mobility everyday. Can't tell about the PE itself though
Joshua Slocum
Hollow Man said:

What if I'm on PE5 in handstand, for those who have H1 you understand. Should I do them for a block of 10 minutes everyday? Or does this "general rule" apply only to standing on your hands?

Keep to the normal programming for PE's/SE's in H1. Feel free to spend 10 minutes playing around on your hands if your wrists and shoulders can take it, but keep the dedicated work at a more moderate level. 

Awesssss
Joshua Slocum said:

Keep to the normal programming for PE's/SE's in H1. Feel free to spend 10 minutes playing around on your hands if your wrists and shoulders can take it, but keep the dedicated work at a more moderate level. 

I agree. I think this 10 minutes of block should not include strength work, more like prehab or warmup. Doing wallruns everyday if you havent mastered wall runs would only hurt you.

Awesssss
Titan said:

That awkard moment when it was the joke.

That akward moment when the post wasn't meant for you.

Titan
Hollow Man said:

That akward moment when the post wasn't meant for you.

That awkward moment when you should probably stay out of it.

Vincearoo

Gentleman, calm down. Settle you feelings with a competition of arch body rocks for distance.

Jon Douglas

Afterword;

Prioritise your programmed strength training.

If your resources allow it, add more movement (if you want, and if you enjoy it).

Handstands are one of the best things most of us can do as extracurricular movement-- they allow many factors to be trained for a small time investment. It's simple efficiency.

If your programmed training suffers in the least, dial back, because the first rule is the one that's gonna make you the big progress :)

 

 

I like to get a couple longer holds in on non-handstand days, either in warmup or between F exercises. Nothing terribly programmed, just allow as much rest time as I want before the next F exercise, provided my feet aren't touching the ground.

Daniel Stephan
Vincearoo said:

Gentleman, calm down. Settle you feelings with a competition of arch body rocks for distance.

Imagine if this were the standard procedure for settling differences. How peaceful life would be....

Alexander Egebak
Daniel Stephan said:

Imagine if this were the standard procedure for settling differences. How peaceful life would be....

And how easy ABR would be in the end :D

Micawberian
Titan said:

That awkward moment when you should probably stay out of it.

Hey Titan sorry to push your buttons, it was just a small quip ;) no harm intended