This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

90 sec Vertical Lunge stretch question

Started by Nick Roy, March 15, 2015 · 8 Replies · 491 Views

Nick Roy

I knew I was tight, but I felt like a freakin Golan during this stretch session. It was my first so I know it will come with time. Anyways, my question.

When I was doing the vertical lunge stretch, I would start with my shin and knee vertically pinned to the wall followed by straightening the leg. The stretch was VERY intense for me. Probably the most intense out of the entire set. Should I focus on keeping the rear leg vertical and just straighten the leg over time? Because when I straightened my leg out I would reach the position, but 10 seconds later my sweaty rear leg would slide inward taking the stretch off of my hip flexor. What should be my main focus with this stretch is my question

Jennifer

You know, if it's really just too painful for you, you can try putting your knee and shin on the seat of the couch pinned back and keeping your other leg on the floor until you loosen up a little.    Can you visualize what I mean?   It's more of a standing position.

 

I hope this is an acceptable work around.

Coach Sommer
Nick Roy said:

... Should I focus on keeping the rear leg vertical and just straighten the leg over time? ...

Yes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

julien
Coach Sommer said:

Yes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach, just to make sure I don't misunderstand you here: scaling the vertical lunge straight that way means that we basically do about the same exercise as the vertical lunge bent no? That's what I have been doing myself but wondering if that is the right way. Or is there any cues we should use to distinguish the two when it is impossible to straighten the leg at all?

Nick Roy
julien said:

Hi Coach, just to make sure I don't misunderstand you here: scaling the vertical lunge straight that way means that we basically do about the same exercise as the vertical lunge bent no? That's what I have been doing myself but wondering if that is the right way. Or is there any cues we should use to distinguish the two when it is impossible to straighten the leg at all?

Correct.

He said it's most important to make sure the rear leg is vertical from knee to ankle, flat against the wall. Maintain that until you can straighten out the front leg

Primate

Just to hijack this thread. I get crazy nerve pain in the top of my back foot that's pressed against the wall in this stretch.  It's like icy pins and needles.  normal?

Nick Roy

Your blood flow is getting cutoff. You just need to ease off the stretch some, then move back in when it returns. More than likely it's just too much too soon, going too hard

Coach Sommer
Primate said:

Just to hijack this thread. I get crazy nerve pain in the top of my back foot that's pressed against the wall in this stretch.  It's like icy pins and needles.  normal?

 

Pad the wall behind you (towel, pillow, cushion) to keep the pressure off the nerves on the top of the foot.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

For those with stall bars, pipe insulation works great for this. I put a layer of Gorilla Tape on top for extra luxury.