This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM Form Check

Started by codymc, March 15, 2015 · 3 Replies · 156 Views

codymc

Hi all, I've got a few questions regarding this element... no video, but I've attached a couple pictures. Side shot is from the 3rd set, other one is from the last (5th) set. 8 lbs. on the bar is what I typically use, and what is shown in both pictures.

 

I've come a long way in terms of flexion ROM, but I would say that I still need more... so, how much more ROM should I be striving for here? What is the mastery standard relative to where I'm currently at?

 

Do my hands need to be closer together? I would say they are as close together as the athlete's in the course video... the dowel I'm using is marked, and if I were to stand up with my hands in the same position as in the pictures, they are essentially at the width they would be if I stood with my arms relaxed at my sides.

 

Lastly, I have some trouble comfortably demonstrating the ROM shown in the 1st set and sometimes the 2nd set. As I've developed more strength and ROM, I've been doing less and less to warm-up before my work sets (usually just get right to it after the wrist exercises and the PE)...

 

I'm tempted to go back to doing a set or two at a lower weight (6 lbs. maybe?) before starting the work sets. However, I would like to avoid anything excessive/special in terms of warm-up, so as not to invalidate mastery. Would this be acceptable?

 

I can get a video from my next session if necessary. Any feedback is appreciated.

 

Thanks,

 

Cody

post-2505-0-22103200-1426379970_thumb.jp

post-2505-0-48701900-1426379987_thumb.jp

Micawberian

For this element, video proves to be particularly useful.

Master the element at the width you would like to use for your handstands. Allan in the course video is showing a wide hand placement, if it works for you then so be it...(just remember when the time comes for stalders and OAHS, maybe you would have to make some changes with the width...I could only dream of doing a stalder at such a wide placement, so I master w/ hands 30 cm apart)

Warming up shoulder flexion beforehand is just going to be dependent on your preferences. Some people may only need a 10 second cat stretch, someone else may need a good 5-10 minutes to get comfortable in this range of motion. I don't think you should skimp on the warm up and let your first sets suffer, because the point of the exercise is to work your end ROM.

codymc

Micawberian,

 

Thanks for your input - I will get a video from my next session. Should have it up sometime Wednesday night.

 

Checked the markings on the dowel... 48 cm for the hand placement shown. I believe this is fairly close to what I would like to use for my handstands. With that said, I certainly don't want to impair future, more advanced handstand work, so I'll pursue getting my hands closer together.

 

I'll also experiment with putting a set or two at a lower weight back into my warm-up, seeing as I haven't really been doing much to warm-up lately. Will update after my next session...

 

Cody

codymc

Videos added from today's session - side view is the 3rd set, other video is the 5th set. Same conditions as in pictures from before (i.e. 8 lbs. on bar, same hand placement). I had some trimmed down videos, but couldn't get them to transfer from my phone to my computer.

 

Anyway, was deskbound all day (typically my weekend session feels better than my session during the week since I don't sit all day)... did 2 sets with 6 lbs. as warm-up (one set with hands 48 cm apart, one set with hands ~30 cm apart) - and had a noticeable improvement in the feel of the 1st work set.

20150318_185558.mp4

20150318_185922.mp4