This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What counts as a rep when alternating?

Started by Bongos, March 13, 2015 · 4 Replies · 242 Views

Bongos

I know this has been discussed for specific exercises, whether strength or IM, but which is the right way to approach a rep where alternation is involved, in general:

 

A) 1L + 1R = 1 Rep

B) 1L + 1R = 2 Reps

 

My default for given activity is option A. So 10r for, say, skiers, equals 10 right leans and 10 left leans, instead of 5 for each side totaling 10.

 

But, for seated Russian twists, the 5x30r mastery means 15 touches for each side, for 30 total.

 

Where it's not specifically noted for the activity performed - which option is right? Sometimes it's not always clear.

 

Thanks.

 

Sam Deamer

Yeah it gets a bit cloudy on some movements, I just found out today (after doing 5x10 on each leg) that SLS/PE2 is only 5x5 on each leg.

Destiny

Can someone clarify for RCPE4 as well? Since the new SL elements the FAQ changed to accommodate for the russian twists rep count, but the other IMs rep counts did not change.

Bongos

As a reference, the answer for what counts as a rep for IMs can be found in the Foundation FAQ.

 

For strength exercises where the guidelines are not specified, I guess I will still default to Option A as stated in my original post.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13404-foundation-one-exercise-faq/

 

How do the repetition counts in the Integrated Mobility elements work?

  • For single-limbed elements, eg) RC/PE1>iM, complete the repetition or time count on each side.

  • For elements which alternate directions, eg) RC/PE4>iM, count each side as a rep. (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = two reps.

  • For other elements, complete a single set as instructed.

     
Enkidu
Bongos said:

But, for seated Russian twists, the 5x30r mastery means 15 touches for each side, for 30 total.

 

Doh!  Looks like I have been doing double the reps.  Are you sure on this?  The reason I thought it must be 30 touches to each side is that there is an odd number of reps in the deload week for Block 2 for the 30 rep mastery template.