Straddle Press Form Check

Started by gbsj, March 12, 2015 · 6 Replies · 1,791 Views

gbsj
I have been working on my straddle press and would like a form critique.

 


 

I am having trouble getting the coordination to open my shoulders sooner and later and getting a good stack.

 

New to GB and have started working my way through H1.

 

Comments and suggestions welcomed :-)

pashamur

Not bad; the way your legs are going up (not quite smooth enough), seems to indicate that you're not controlling the lift with your abs, but rather with the lean forward. Really think about activating your core - that's what should give you control in the press (also the fact that you're loose when you actually hit handstand - squeeze your butt, thighs, and really engage your abs).

 

I think if you manage to stay tight during the press, that will make the biggest difference for it at the moment. Also don't forget to point your does (which helps with remembering to stay tight).

Micawberian

As handbalancer would say, the quality of your handstand will reflect in the press. How is your handstand line? From video, I don't know if that straddle HS at the top represents your normal HS, if so you have some big work to do working on your shoulder flexion before the press can be perfected.

gbsj
pashamur - thanks for the excellent advise. Tight and core is my mantra now!

 

Micawberian - My HS is not that great, I lack confidence and balance awareness and sometimes am still balancing with my legs rather than my hands. 1-1/2 years ago I did get a vertebrae compression fracture at T4/T5 during a jeep rollover. So, thoracic mobility may be an issue. I am currently working through H1.

 

Would everyone suggest that I start over with H1/F1 and got through Foundation series and Handstand series and Stretch series?

 

Thanks again for the feedback!

aiken54

I mean if you're trying presses without F1 or H1, of course we're going to suggest you finish those. After all, H2, in which presses are the main focus, requires that F2 be completed before any specific press work may begin.

Alessandro Mainente

Seems that you do not have the necessary shoulders flexibility to complete the handstand position. my suggestion is reach at least hs position.

gbsj

Thanks everyone!

 

I have the entire GB Foudation series and H1 and H2.

 

I am working the 3 day integrated program and have tested through to PE3 in F1 and PE8 in HS1.

 

So I am working PE9 HS1 and PE1 in HS2 along with PE3 in F7.

 

Great stuff and great feedback.

 

Thanks again and no presses for a while until I have shown mastery in all of the fundamentals and have at least the 60s HS!