This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strengthening/Mobilizing wrists recovering from RSI

Started by Simonaspinall, March 11, 2015 · 2 Replies · 81 Views

Simonaspinall

Hi there

 

I've been going through the foundation programme for GBs and really enjoying the progressions - Totally unlike any other system with the strength/mobility emphasis :-)

 

One problem I have though is very sore wrists from dreaded desk work and mouse work. The palm side is cramped and tight, the inside of the forearm to the wrist joint is also very tight and prevents me from putting too much load on it. 

 

I can hold a press-up position, do press-ups, crab stands and reverse planks (just) but moving onto the beginning of the planche progressions I am finding this to be restrictive.

 

Please can someone suggest some exercises to help open up my hand tightness and wrist mobility, or post a link to a known resource. I'd be very grateful as i'd also like to graduate to the handstand series.

 

Yours most appreciatively, Simon

 

 

jfreaksho

The handstand series starts with some major wrist and forearm stretching and conditioning.  Don't wait to get H1, and start the mobility work now.

Enkidu

There are a lot of videos out there on YT that can assist with wrist stretches.  My wrist flexibility has been an issue for me for a while (at least in my right wrist) but I've really started getting serious about the wrist strengthening and stretching exercises in H1 as well as other materials.  Over the last month or two I have noticed a definite improvement in my wrist flexibility, but I still have issues with my right wrist due to some calcification.  One thing that I just tried doing a week or two ago on PPL (PE5 in the sPL series) is going with sort of an eagle claw grip.  Admittedly, the heel of my hands comes off the ground since my wrist flexibility isn't there yet, but by doing this I have a much easier time getting into the proper position without my right wrist screaming at me.  I think the wrist strengthening exercises in H1 have helped my ability to hold this position comfortably.  Before I tried this grip I was struggling to hold 18s in the PPL, not due to strength, but due to searing pain in my right wrist.  After doing this grip, I was able to easily hold 18s with an even deeper lean forward.