With the seal stretch I can't keep my hips down and my arms straight. Therefore is it better to keep hips down and work to get arms straight or arms straight and work to get hips down. Thanks in advance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
TBs/Se5
Started by thomas wood, March 9, 2015 · 6 Replies · 284 Views
I'd say hips down and work to increase ROM by gradually straightening arms without allowing hips to rise, though I'm not sure what the official word is on this.
Squeeze the glutes to keep the hips down and take care to arch the back evenly, not just hinge at one stop in the low back.
Even, gradual bending with elongated the spine is the key I think, whether you go with arms straight/push hips down or hips down/push arms straight. I like to imagine wrapping my spine around a large exercise ball as I bend backwards.
Interested to hear what others have to say on this. Never encountered the issue myself as my torso is so long/arms relatively short I need blocks for hand elevation on almost everything.
I would think straight arms and work to lower hips
90secs is s long time to hold yourself on bent arms - you won't be able to focus into the stretch if your arms are shaking!
Another option would be hips down and arms straight but angled out in front of you. Bring them back to under your shoulders as you gain ROM
Personally, I prefer to allow gravity to pull my hips down over the period of the stretch, whilst I actively push hips forward and shoulders back
Another alternative is to widen the arms while keeping them locked in the elbows. And then gradually bring them to shoulder width.
One thing I'm never sure though is whether should we tighten the buttocks and actively work on this stretch or let them relax and let the gravity (and upper body) work.
I personally squeeze my Glutes as this prevents the lumbar spine from going as far into Hyperextension and better stretches the hip flexors.
Arms straight (hands a little wider than shoulder width) first then begin pressing the hips down.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks coach, I'm loving the stretch series a real eye opener to how tight I've become.