This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't do a single rep of TB Hip Tap or Pushup

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), March 7, 2015 · 15 Replies · 1,101 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I can't do a single rep of the TB Hip Tap or Push Up.

 

Suggestions for scaling?

 

Thanks

 

Cam

Joshua Slocum

I'd just do more elevated thoracic bridge holds.

ausswe

With the taps I just try to lift m hands off the ground as muh as I can smoothly ( for me that is only a few inches at best) then when I can't do any more I just hold the top position until the follow along video portion is done.

Also just a quickness question this made me think of.

Question 1: is it okay to do the bridge push ups with feet on the ground? I can manage those but not with feet elevated.

Obviously once im stronger at the ground ones I will move my feet up.

tejo1

I can't do a single rep of these either. I can't even lift a hand off the ground without immediately falling. It might be something in my positioning (maybe easier if I didn't have to have my feet so highly elevated?) or maybe it's just strength. Can anyone recommend a progression? Or just keep doing the series, and keep holding extra elevated bridge time, and eventually I'll build the flexibility/strength/whatever I need?

 

Or, is there something I might be doing wrong that makes it impossible to lift a hand up?

Keegan

I've just been shifting my weight side to side and trying to even slightly unweight each hand. I imagine that as we gain more mobility and strength in this position that we'll be able to lift out arms higher.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'd say yes, you will be able to lift higher as your get stronger. I could finally get to the last knuckle of my fingers off the ground in this position (so, something like an inverted FKP from the Handstand 1 series), but I've been working on them intermittently. I seriously dread these routines, so I often end up doing only two of the stretch series a week, though I've lately been gritting my teeth and working through it. But damn... is it difficult. And those curl ups and archups? Man, there isn't an exercise in Foundation 1 that I've yet come across that thrashes me like those do.

Jon Douglas

What Josh said; improve the static bridge and the rest will come.

prinny

I haven't been able to tap my hip or shoulder, but today I was able to do a couple of wrist taps :lol:. I was barely able to lift a hand last session. I'm content with that progress so far  :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I did three sets of Elevated Thoracic Bridge Holds today (for 60 seconds) instead of the pushups and taps...my shoulders thank me for it. I could also touch my hands with some 'significant' lean to my upper body on the shoulder extensions. I say significant as it was more than previously. That my shoulders have by and large been my weak point and I was able to see this sort of progress in my mobility was very relieving and reassuring that this stuff does work.

Coach Sommer
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I did three sets of Elevated Thoracic Bridge Holds today (for 60 seconds) instead of the pushups and taps...my shoulders thank me for it. I could also touch my hands with some 'significant' lean to my upper body on the shoulder extensions. I say significant as it was more than previously. That my shoulders have by and large been my weak point and I was able to see this sort of progress in my mobility was very relieving and reassuring that this stuff does work.

 

Great idea, Daniel.  Well done.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Some other moderators mentioned that that was probably best as a starting point. I couldn't yet do full reps of wall walks. But I got one repetition in with good form. My anterior deltoids are no longer in pain...so it seems that even though I'm very much a beginner in terms of shoulder mobility going back into even further incremental steps is helpful towards improving flexion and mobility. (I had to use an unweighted bar with 2.5 lbs today for HS/PE1-im, but I felt it more in my traps and less strain on the shoulder). Little by little the process is working.

Itamar sha'ashuaS

I'm doing the hip taps in a regular bridge and it feels good for now

Luzian

I was not able to hold 60s bridge, not able to do one single bridge pushup and not able to lift one hand even slightly off the ground on the hip taps when I started doing the bridge stretches in February. I've never missed a single once-per-week bridge stretch session since then. I can now hold 60s bridge easily, do about 8-10 clean bridge pushups and do about 6 bridge shoulder taps. Conclusion: keep trying, stay consistent and you _will_ improve.

 

Scaling:

- Bridge pushups: lay a few stacked weight plates under your head and pushup from that elevated height. Remove plates as you improve.

- Bridge hip taps: just try to lift one hand slighty off the ground, then start working towards shoulder taps.

Coach Sommer
Luzian said:

I was not able to hold 60s bridge, not able to do one single bridge pushup and not able to lift one hand even slightly off the ground on the hip taps when I started doing the bridge stretches in February. I've never missed a single once-per-week bridge stretch session since then. I can now hold 60s bridge easily, do about 8-10 clean bridge pushups and do about 6 bridge shoulder taps. Conclusion: keep trying, stay consistent and you _will_ improve.

 

Scaling:

- Bridge pushups: lay a few stacked weight plates under your head and pushup from that elevated height. Remove plates as you improve.

- Bridge hip taps: just try to lift one hand slighty off the ground, then start working towards shoulder taps.

 

Nicely done, Luzian.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Angel

rather than hip taps, lift your hand off the floor by three inches (or hell even two centimetres if that much scaling needed.). Progress from there to ten inches, and then eventually you can bring your hand to your hip.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I've found that pushing through hips and squeezing the glutes makes it easier on the shoulders. Doing so allowed me to do shoulder taps this past week for the first time ever. So, like Luzian said, scale your efforts and stay consistent.