This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curls- Best ROM To Aim Before Adding Weight?

Started by HB_Ron, March 7, 2015 · 13 Replies · 501 Views

HB_Ron

My best is 60 kgx5x5, but I decided to drop the weight all the way to 20kg because I simply want to focus on range of motion. I'm going to start adding weight as I reach the selected ROM. So regardless Mastery, what ROM should we strive for before adding weight?

Thanks in advanced! :)

Edoardo Cagnola

I remember reading that for mastery having your wrists just below your feet level is enough. As far as weight goes, I don't really know, maybe 1/4 body weight? I hope it isn't more than that as I don't have access to a lot of weights right now :)

Salivanth

I believe you're supposed to add weight as you're comfortable adding weight. Mastery standard is 20 kg. I am confident about the second statement, unsure about the first.

HB_Ron
EdStand said:

....mastery having your wrists just below your feet level is enough.... maybe 1/4 body weight? I hope it isn't more than that as I don't have access to a lot of weights right now :)

I think I wasn't clear enough - In my opinion, the "mastery" standard is low..Wouldn't it be better to train for elbows level or at least somewhere in between wrists and elbows height?

BTW, the goal is 1 X BW ;)

Edoardo Cagnola

Yeah I'll need to invest in other weights since mine just arrive to 20kg!

Elbow level for mastery of PE2 seems a little bit too much, but I agree with you that wrist level is pretty easy to achieve (at least for us younger people that have had less amount of time to damage our bodies:) )

Alexander Egebak

Course video is a standard 20kg olympic bar. You can add more, eventually, as you add JC to your warm up. But if MN PE 2 still needs refinement, then sure, go improve JC, but no reason not to advance if mastery is proven in both PE and iM.

Alan Tseng

To move on to MN/PE3, minimum of 45 pounds in JC. Ultimate end goal of JC is 1x bodyweight with minimum ROM is wrist at feet level

Sven Ravnstag

Is ROM with the iM really the issue in terms of mastering the element in this case? What I mean is that I suspect that if a person has the compression and hamstring flexibility to pass the PE the iM would certainly be there in terms of ROM, and more than likely in weight as well.

For example, I can get wrists to below feet without too much trouble, but I'm nowhere near the ROM required by the PE. Are there people who have the compression required for Straddle ups but who lack mastery ROM in Jefferson Curls?

Alan Tseng

My personal experience with Straddle-Ups was that the better I got at Jefferson Curls, the better I got at Straddle-ups. However originally when I started, I had a lot of difficulty even with just fingertips touching the floor, so your problems with straddle-ups may be different from what I had.

prozach

My impression is that this movement can be quite deceptive as it requires strength and stability in each individual vertebrae and rib. Any weak link or postural distortion could lead to injury if you are overzealous with adding weight.

I've been using 14kg for the past 8 weeks. Though it feels light I see no reason to add weight yet, as I still feel a marked difference after doing them and my pike is still improving (At about mid forarm right now).

I would think mastery would be based solely on ROM (but of course working on them and adding weight post mastery when appropriate). If I'm wrong about that, I'm curious why that is.

Salivanth
prozach said:

My impression is that this movement can be quite deceptive as it requires strength and stability in each individual vertebrae and rib. Any weak link or postural distortion could lead to injury if you are overzealous with adding weight.

I've been using 14kg for the past 8 weeks. Though it feels light I see no reason to add weight yet, as I still feel a marked difference after doing them and my pike is still improving (At about mid forarm right now).

I would think mastery would be based solely on ROM (but of course working on them and adding weight post mastery when appropriate). If I'm wrong about that, I'm curious why that is.

I just checked the Foundation wiki; 20 kg (45 lb) is correct. If you're curious as to why, I suggest searching or opening a thread, as I'm not entirely sure why either. I'm guessing there's a strengthening element in the exercise, considering that adding more weight isn't indicative of more mobility. (If anything, it'd be the other way around; it's easier to get to a certain point with more weight dragging you down!)

After mastery, it's recommended to work up to bodyweight.

Rayne-William

Mastery standards: atleast 20kg

Range of motion: See the course video.

 

After mastery:

Weight: up to your full body weight

 

 

Reasons: Existing FL preparatory elements in F2

Alexander Egebak

I do not understand that last part Rayne-William... Care to elaborate?

Rayne-William
Alexander Egebak said:

I do not understand that last part Rayne-William... Care to elaborate?

Regardless of whether you think there is any benefit or not the core strength you develop now, with Jefferson curls, is really useful later on in the Foundation course.