This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No warmups

Started by BeanLion, March 6, 2015 · 22 Replies · 854 Views

BeanLion

So generally I associate warm ups with preventing injuries. Currently when I do F7 I don't do any warm ups, I just get into it. Is it just for injury prevention? Or am I missing something by not doing warm ups? Currently I don't have time to fit in a warm up so would have to go back to splitting F7 up.

 

Thanks

Murray Truelove

You're still doing your warm up sets of previous elements though?

5 minutes of joint rotations wouldn't be a bad idea, at a minimum I'd do this for my shoulders.

Sven Ravnstag

I find it makes all the difference in the quality of the work I do. My feeling is that the same benefits regarding injury prevention apply to performance as well. It doesn't have to long warmup, 12-15 minutes in a pinch is much better than none at all.

I've done Foundation without it and nothing bad happened, so when I recommend warming up it's actually primarily from a performance optimization perspective because that's what I have personal experience with.

I don't know your schedule, but when I find myself saying "I don't have time" it's usually worth double checking to see whether it's absolutely true or not. If you make time to do the warmup I think you'll be glad you did, and ultimately your experience/results are what matters most.

BeanLion

No, I'm literally doing nothing apart from where I am on my F7. Granted though for most elements I'm not very far through. I do sometimes through in some shoulder dislocates, as these don't take very long.

 

My current schedule is doing F7 (mon & fri) during my work lunch. This usually takes me and hour and half, to get there get everything done and back so I am quite restricted on adding extra time to this as most people take an hour for lunch.

 

But if throwing this in will help with performance optimisation then maybe it is something I should do and then split up F7. After doing F7 I do prefer this than splitting it up.

 

Thanks

Krel

5-10 minutes warm up should not be skipped.

1/ It prevents injuries

2/ It increases your post-warm-up performances

3/ It allows you to maintain previous exercises already mastered

Alexander Egebak

I do warm up with some jogging, Jefferson curls, split squats, weighted pancake stretches and xiao pengs. Doing what foundation prescribes is simply too much for me and makes it harder to hit mastery.

Sven Ravnstag
BeanLion said:

No, I'm literally doing nothing apart from where I am on my F7. Granted though for most elements I'm not very far through. I do sometimes through in some shoulder dislocates, as these don't take very long.

My current schedule is doing F7 (mon & fri) during my work lunch. This usually takes me and hour and half, to get there get everything done and back so I am quite restricted on adding extra time to this as most people take an hour for lunch.

But if throwing this in will help with performance optimisation then maybe it is something I should do and then split up F7. After doing F7 I do prefer this than splitting it up.

Thanks

It's at least worth giving it a try for a mini-cycle or so to see how you feel. If you're doing F7 twice per week (vs 3), there's no real reason not to split up in my opinion, other than the work capacity benefits and batching activities for time saving that comes with doing them all at once.

Separating the movements and doing them well (warmups) is better than doing them together and skipping out on an important element. It's possible that as work capcity increases you'll move through quicker and be able to do F7 and warmups at once, so keep that in mind.

Good luck and have fun finding what works best for you.

bigB

I the answer would depend on what movements you are currently on.

 

If you're still in Foundation 1, a long warmup is probably not that important.
In F4 it's a different story.

 

I've found with HeSPU, a bit of a warmup makes me stronger. Otherwise, the 2nd set will be easier than the 1st.

MT Nordic

you may get away with this for awhile if you're young, but it is creating bad habits that will eventually bite you in the butt (or the elbow, wrist or shoulder  ;) ).

greekdawg

what about general "warmups" like cardio to get warm? jumping rope, cycling, running, etc.  Curious as to if Coaches athletes employed any kind of this activity before starting their workout for the day??

Krel
greekdawg said:

what about general "warmups" like cardio to get warm? jumping rope, cycling, running, etc.  Curious as to if Coaches athletes employed any kind of this activity before starting their workout for the day??

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5063-cardio/

 

Coach Sommer said:

My personal preference is to see the weekly running total stay at the lower end of the scale near the 6 mile range. At this volume you could break it up into either three 2 mile days or two 3 mile days. Thus even if you are not a particularly proficient runner, if you choose the 2 miles a day option; you are still finished with this portion of your workout in 15-18 minutes. Which is actually perfect to sufficiently elevate your core temperature enough to proceed directly into your joint prehab work prior to the main body of your workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

BeanLion

That's the thing I'm mostly working F1 still, if I were doing things like press to handstand then I can fully see the need to warm up before jumping into that. It'll definitely be something I'll play about with, at the minute I'm trying to rework my schedule to best fit in the stretch series.

Thanks for all the discussion

Javier

I do 5 mn of joint warming; shoulders, neck, hips, knees and ankles. A bit of lumbering to loosen up and some jumping jacks to get the heart pumping. I use the first PEs and iMs of each specific element to warm up for my current work out. I haven't found the need to do more in terms of warm up.  

Enkidu

I perform a 15-20 minute mobility flow before beginning H1 + F7.  I do this same mobility flow before I train at Olympic weightlifting (which I do 5 days per week).

 

My flexibility has gotten much better since doing so and several of the exercises and integrated mobility that gave me problems in the past have become significantly easier since I started doing this mobility flow.  In many cases the issue preventing me from progressing wasn't strength, but mobility.  Really focusing on mobility (I do this flow, occasionally preceded by some foam rolling & use of lacrosse balls pretty much every day) has really improved my flexibility all around and vastly improved my F1 & H1 performance.  A great thing is that all this improved mobility has also made me a much better Olympic lifter (which is my main focus -- I use GST to supplement my OWL).

dmcmanam

People often want a "one size fits all" answer but your body is YOURS, ideally you know it better than anyone else and warm-up according to your own needs on that day.  "No warm-up" as in you jump out of bed and start the workout or "No warm-up" as in you go about your day and train in the evening?  Very different.  A 10 minute warm-up is ideal?  Probably not if you trained for 3-5 hours the previous day and feel sore.  

Personally, some days I warm-up for 10 minutes and some days I warm up for 45.  It depends on how much time I have and how I feel on that particular day.  The warm-up and cool-down are both very beneficial for me and my workout/recovery suffers when I try to skip either but everyone is different.

bamartens

I've been wondering if some of the more basic progressions of the Movement series might work well as a warmup....will be interesting to see.

ausswe

Sorry to go off topic but has there been any news about movement courses? Also I don't warm up beside I train in the evening and Australia is hot.... So by the time I train my body has already moved a lot and is warm.

emilianop
ausswe said:

Sorry to go off topic but has there been any news about movement courses? Also I don't warm up beside I train in the evening and Australia is hot.... So by the time I train my body has already moved a lot and is warm.

 

Even if it's called "warm up" it's not strictly related to body temperature, that's just a byproduct of the process, the real deal being neural awakening, higher oxygenation and synovial fluid pumping.

 

If I recall correctly I was reading an article about frequency of hamstring pulled for TrackAndField athletes and turned out the most of cases were happening during summer. At first people thought about other factors, like easier dehydration, but they realized most of these guys were following less of not none warming up procedures during summer because they "felt warmed up already", while in winter they were very diligent about it.

I'd like to call it "tension up" or "wake up" rather than "warm up"... :)

 

Sometimes I completely skip "regular Foundation warmup style" as well, but I anyway do something, more prep work for the load in delicate areas.

For example I'd be very worried if I'd start any sPL/HBP/H work without proper wrist mobilization.

ausswe

sorry the australia is hot was a joke... my main point was by the end of the day my body has done a lot of moving and is already pretty limber.  if i trained in the morning i would do a thorough warm up mostly consisting of mobility stuff.  i am still mostly in f1 and a bit in f2 so doing the recommended gst warm up on here is too much work load atm..  that and it takes way too freaking long.  i still dont understand the thought process behind the recommended warm up because it will mean you are doing at least 21 exercises before you even get into your work sets, for someone doing f7...

emilianop
ausswe said:

sorry the australia is hot was a joke...

 

I've been living in Australia for 5+ years, and it's not a joke! :)

ausswe

hahahahha...hot is a matter of perspective I guess.... used to wear jeans in 35 degree heat when i was growing up here then i moved to sweden for a few years and after coming back i  cant handle 30+ temperatures in my undies even :P