As a background, I can do hanging leg lifts in a tuck for a significantly high volume. I don't even feel any muscles working hard. If I open my legs slightly it gets slightly tougher, but it's still very manageable. The problem arises when I try to do them with my legs completely straight. I tend to do the exercise from a dead hang, meaning relaxed shoulders, scapulae neutral and shoulders elevated. This keeps my shoulders in a neutral position (neither externally nor internally rotated). But as I try to raise my legs, I tend to externally rotate my shoulders, and I get severe pain in my shoulders.
Clearly, I;m not strong enoughb to work hanging leg lifts on a regular basis, so I started doing negatives. But even with this, as I come down from the top position, I can't control my shoulders, and end up with shoulder pain for the duration of the exercise. I try to keep my shoulders directly underneath the wrists and actively try to minimize the backwards lean.
Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Should I be doing the exercise from an active hang (scapulae retracted and shoulders depressed)? I did try this once, but the effect was pretty similar. I'm not entirely sure how my shoulder girdle should be behaving in this exercise. Any tips would be appreciated.