This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

seeking advice on supplementing F1+H1 with cardio

Started by athleticandrey, March 5, 2015 · 12 Replies · 527 Views

athleticandrey

I wonder if running 3 km with a moderate degree of intensity twice a week would be enough for cardio? I read on the forum that some form of cardio is required to get the full benefit of the program but I still don't have a clear idea of how much and what kind of cardio is needed?

I don't need cardio to improve my endurance (as I don't practice any sport) or to lose weight.  I suppose I need cardio just because I want to follow a comprehensive fitness program that covers all the major aspects of fitness.

Also, is it a good idea to supplement F1 with explosive movements like jumps since none are present in the program itself? Or if I'm just interested in following a fitness program that improves my health and wellbeing then perhaps that might not be necessary?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Krel
athleticandrey said:

Also, is it a good idea to supplement F1 with explosive movements like jumps since none are present in the program itself?

I would recommend to wait for the Movement Series :lol:

 

athleticandrey said:

I wonder if running 3 km with a moderate degree of intensity twice a week would be enough for cardio? I read on the forum that some form of cardio is required to get the full benefit of the program but I still don't have a clear idea of how much and what kind of cardio is needed?

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5063-cardio/

 

Coach Sommer said:

Short distance running will have not have a negative long-term impact on your strength gains. Although in the short-term it may, if you are beginning your cardio training from a fitness deficit or attempting too much initial intensity.

Without question the Chinese currently have the strongest athletes in the world on Still Rings and yet year round their Sr National Team performs several 3-5 mile runs per week with some 400m sprint work also thrown into the mix. Their Jr athletes run less overall distance at a time, but have a 30 minute running workout that they perform on a daily basis. They are ridiculously strong as well.

The following is some visual food for thought.

whJpFP3bG18

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 

Coach Sommer said:

Excellent point.

This is illustrative of the substantial difference in training effects that manipulating running volume can have; e.g. ts00nami's former 30 miles per week (loss of strength) and the Sr Chinese National Team's current volume of 6-15 miles per week (strongest in the world). My best approximation is that the Chinese are probably hitting nearer the 9 mile mark on a weekly basis (not including 400m work), with the occasional 6 and 15 mile weeks being thrown in depending on the training cycle.

My personal preference is to see the weekly running t

 

athleticandrey said:

I wonder if running 3 km with a moderate degree of intensity twice a week would be enough for cardio? I read on the forum that some form of cardio is required to get the full benefit of the program but I still don't have a clear idea of how much and what kind of cardio is needed?

I don't need cardio to improve my endurance (as I don't practice any sport) or to lose weight.  I suppose I need cardio just because I want to follow a comprehensive fitness program that covers all the major aspects of fitness.

Also, is it a good idea to supplement F1 with explosive movements like jumps since none are present in the program itself? Or if I'm just interested in following a fitness program that improves my health and wellbeing then perhaps that might not be necessary?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

 

otal stay at the lower end of the scale near the 6 mile range. At this volume you could break it up into either three 2 mile days or two 3 mile days. Thus even if you are not a particularly proficient runner, if you choose the 2 miles a day option; you are still finished with this portion of your workout in 15-18 minutes. Which is actually perfect to sufficiently elevate your core temperature enough to proceed directly into your joint prehab work prior to the main body of your workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeremy Huston

It's recommended to hold off on explosive movements until you're done with F2 to make sure your connective tissue can handle the stress.  I don't have F3, but I believe it has more explosive movements.

john_c
Jeremy Huston said:

It's recommended to hold off on explosive movements until you're done with F2 to make sure your connective tissue can handle the stress.  I don't have F3, but I believe it has more explosive movements.

Not sure about that, it will be a long time before I complete F2 and I do quite a lot of sprinting, running and jumping. As long as you are sensible and use some of the common sense principles learned here then I am sure you can do it safely.

Movement1, when it comes out has no prerequisites.

Jeremy Huston
tfeal said:

Not sure about that, it will be a long time before I complete F2 and I do quite a lot of sprinting, running and jumping. As long as you are sensible and use some of the common sense principles learned here then I am sure you can do it safely.

Movement1, when it comes out has no prerequisites.

I agree -- it depends on your history.

 

I would guess Movement 1 will start with pretty basic movements like cartwheels and forward rolls.  It won't be doing aerials, backflips, and senders right off the bat.

athleticandrey

Thank you for the input guys!

shughes89

I've been running 5k twice a week at a very conservative pace. I will ramp up the intensity over the coming months, but it's secondary to the GST.

kingzlo

My thoughts was on this for some time for I noticed that my legs have gotten/getting stronger, as I can take off instinctively, if I have to avoid whatever goes on in the world around me; example a sprint burst if I have to avoid a car that may turn as I'm crossing the street (can never be too careful).  Then there is overall thoughts of my heart (cardio) and how the blood flows throughout ones body (especially since I'm desk bound on a daily).  

 

I'm thinking to get it in during off days @ least twice a week, especially if your doing Martial Arts (warmup prep before stretching).

Sven Ravnstag
shughes89 said:

I've been running 5k twice a week at a very conservative pace. I will ramp up the intensity over the coming months, but it's secondary to the GST.

Do this.  It's just too easy to add in a little progressive cardio training as you go until you're surprising yourself at the ease with which your accomplishing ever greater distances and sustained speeds.  

 

There's not need to rush; once more Coach's advice on consistency is mantra-worthy on this subject.  When I started this a few months ago, it was like clopping along with cinderblocks on both feet.  Now I'm bouncing around the neighborhood really enjoying it.  

 

Oh, and AC/DC, preferably live, helps a lot as well. 

vinca_minor
Sven Ravnstag said:

 

Oh, and AC/DC, preferably live, helps a lot as well. 

 

How do you run in the mosh pit?

Sven Ravnstag

No mosh pits with them; just a week or so of deafness from the 21 gun salute at the end.

athleticandrey

I also remember reading in several places that because we have descended from hunter gatherers who spent pretty much all day on their feet moving about, even consistent exercise + running several times a week is probably not enough for many people nowadays. I even remember reading somewhere that apparently there was even a study done that showed that people who spent most of their day moving and didn't follow any exercise program had better health than people who had office jobs but who exercised on a regular basis.

Are there any guidelines as to how much one is advised to walk every day in addition to GST+running?

I suppose running every day might also be a good idea for some people  but I remember doing it several years ago before I got interested in GST, it was nothing fancy , I didn't do any sprinting, it was just a 3 km run at a moderate pace, for a while it was OK but after several weeks I started to suffer from all kinds of minor injuries like pain in my knees and finally I got some sort of a mild hip injury, so whenever I walked I limped a bit. it resolved on its own after several weeks. But after that I kind of lost interest in running for quite a while. And even now I'm a bit weary of overindulging in running given my past experience. I suppose that now I'm in better shape than I was back then due to my following foundation but still I'd rather not take any chances. So I want to find a certain activity that isn't very stressful for the body so I can do it on a daily basis to meet the daily movement requirements in addition to GST+running 3 times a week.

any thoughts?

shughes89

Buy a pedometer and see if you're getting 10,000 steps a day minimum. Among the Amish community it's common to do almost double this, and who knows about all the people in developing countries who cross miles every day just to get water.