This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MCL/Right knee stress in Swivel Hips

Started by HB_Ron, March 5, 2015 · 12 Replies · 364 Views

HB_Ron

I feel weird tension in the medial part of my right knee when I internally rotate in sPL/PE1-iM. My left side literately has twice better ROM and I can't increase it without feeling pain.

 

I'm disappointed with my progress in this movement and I'm sure others have had roadblock with it too..

Any suggestions, please?

 

Thanks!

Murray Truelove

Try doing one leg at a time, when I started doing this I made progress very quickly. I'll try a find a video of what I mean.

gohei_
Murray Truelove said:

Try doing one leg at a time, when I started doing this I made progress very quickly. I'll try a find a video of what I mean.

Same here. Much easier to get a feel for the movement with only one leg at a time.

HB_Ron
Murray Truelove said:

Try doing one leg at a time, when I started doing this I made progress very quickly. I'll try a find a video of what I mean.

gohei_ said:

Same here. Much easier to get a feel for the movement with only one leg at a time.

 

Hey Murray you suggested this to me almost 2 months ago or so and I've been doing this since. I made some great progress in the beginning, thanks to you. However, the problem is that I feel a weird stretch in the knee which prevents me from increasing ROM..

2 questions:

1. Does it matter if I spread the knees wide apart or should I position them at the same width as the big guy in the video?

2.I read somewhere in the forum that stretching piriformis can help a lot with the internal rotation in the hips. Is that right?

Edit: Here's a stretch started doing.post-8384-0-69498100-1425589787_thumb.pn

post-8384-0-85689600-1425589182_thumb.pn

Murray Truelove

Wish I had an answer for you, it should certainly be painless. Hopefully someone like Coach or Alex will chime in.

Until you get your answer just be sure that your practice is pain free, this might mean experimenting with form.

Alan Tseng

Out of curiosity how tight is your adductor? Extremely tight adductor would cause medial one pain. Also not sure how your SLS progress is. SLS/PE3>iM: Inside Squat helps condition MCL

HB_Ron
Alan Tseng said:

Out of curiosity how tight is your adductor? Extremely tight adductor would cause medial one pain. Also not sure how your SLS progress is. SLS/PE3>iM: Inside Squat helps condition MCL

I sometimes do weighted butterfly stretch for the Adductor. Yet they're still too tight.(My knees aren't able to touch the floor, and my left side is actually less flexible in this stretch)

Should I add inside squat to my routine after F work even though I'm currently working on SLS/PE2+iM.

Alan Tseng
HB_Ron said:

I sometimes do weighted butterfly stretch for the Adductor. Yet they're still too tight.(My knees aren't able to touch the floor, and my left side is actually less flexible in this stretch)

Should I add inside squat to my routine after F work even though I'm currently working on SLS/PE2+iM.

Sorry I meant tight Adductors in the context of medial knee pain rather than for swivel hips. I've done the middle split stretch series and that series cover both piriformis and adductor in depth if you're interested in looking at that.

Try adding inside squats if you're interested but be careful though. When I first started working on inside squats, I overdid it without knowing and I would have sore knees a few hours later. Mastering SLS/PE4>iM: Natural Leg Extension was what really help me to no longer have sore knees (I had ACL surgery 5 years ago.)

HB_Ron
Alan Tseng said:

Sorry I meant tight Adductors in the context of medial knee pain rather than for swivel hips. I've done the middle split stretch series and that series cover both piriformis and adductor in depth if you're interested in looking at that.

Try adding inside squats if you're interested but be careful though. When I first started working on inside squats, I overdid it without knowing and I would have sore knees a few hours later. Mastering SLS/PE4>iM: Natural Leg Extension was what really help me to no longer have sore knees (I had ACL surgery 5 years ago.)

I'm not sure how to answer your question. However, I purchased the middle split pack. After 2 sessions I decided it'd be better to switch it with F2. 

The piriformis in the course is very painful atm. For the meantime I think I'll just stick with the stretch I mentioned above and we'll see how it goes. 

 

By the way, my goal is to do weighted pancake on floor w/ 20 kg bar. My best so far is on an elevated surface( = 3 plates of 20 kg). It's mainly for preparing myself for MN/PE2. Is it beneficial for swivel hips as well?

 

Thanks for the great notes ! :)

Alan Tseng

I can't tell you about the carryover of the weighted pancake since I've never achieved that before. Though focused pancake work in the context of GB curriculum is much later on compared to swivel hips and jefferson curls

 

Actually re-reading your post again, I thought you meant MN/PE2>iM, instead of MN/PE2.  A pancake would help a lot for Straddle-Ups, but Straddle-Ups has less mobility than a pancake.  I don't have a pancake, but I mastered MN/PE2

Ryan Reynolds
Murray Truelove said:

Found the video that helped me: 

http://youtu.be/IhAHtg8fB-Y?t=7m15s

 

Wow Murray that video helped me! thank you so much.  Running through those drills before I do swivel hips as well as kossack squats has made both movements easier, smoother, and less painful.

Murray Truelove
Ryan Reynolds said:

Wow Murray that video helped me! thank you so much.  Running through those drills before I do swivel hips as well as kossack squats has made both movements easier, smoother, and less painful.

Glad it worked for you! It dramatically accelerated my progress with swivel hips.