This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General question on progressions - break time or rep change

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), March 5, 2015 · 4 Replies · 160 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi there,

 

I have a general question on progressions:

 

Is it better to do higher reps with longer break time and then slowly decrease the break time?

 

Or is it better to always have no break time (aside from the iM), and just keep the reps at whatever level I need to in order to have no break time?

 

Or does it make a difference?

 

 

Thoughts?

 

Cam

Sven Ravnstag

People have had success (and have struggled) with both approaches.

Personally, I like to stick with the programming as closely as possible in the beginning, ie no rest other than iM and as close to the prescribed reps as possible without losing form.

Generally I push to the point that there is noticeable (but not profound) determination in form. For example, with horizontal rows I'll aim for my target reps but stop if I have to pike to touch the rings to my chest. That rep is my last for that set.

It's my preference to do this template and perhaps add volume in the form of shorter sets at the end before doing the add more rest approach, although people have reported success with it as a go to method.

I prefer what I've described above because it guarantees that I'm working hard/pushing my capacity while also allowing me to hit a target volume even if my capcity for a given movement is stuck for a time.

Sometimes I only add a single rep to a single set per training session, but generally the gains are sustained from one session to the next and there's not fear of getting too comfortable between sets.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks for your input Sven - much appreciated :)

Murray Truelove

I've had the most success following the templates until I hit mastery, allowing as much rest as needed (though I tend to use a template that requires as little rest as possible) then keeping the volume high reduce the rest time, for example:

4x48s

4x60s

5x60s

5x30s (deload)

5x60s

5x60s

5x60s

5x30s (deload)

Repeating the last block until no rest besides the IM is needed.

If my form fails, I a tiny rest then finish the set.

Always meeting the volume for that week has had the biggest impact for me.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Murray for your input :)

 

That's actually how I've been doing it of late, and I have been making progress. I've just been wondering though, if I might make better progress with less rest time and lower reps.

 

I suppose the only way to know is to give both a good try and see what happens.